Weighing Dose with Doserless Mazzer

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by jwCrema »

When I was looking at Mazzer grinders I just couldn't rationalize the electronic doser version for three reasons. First, I can buy a really accurate scale for less than $25, when it fails I throw it out and buy a new one, which is cheaper than shipping. The nearest shop to maintain my junk is several hundred miles away, so I'm going to do the maintenance unless I really can't. Second, I want very precise control of my grind and the dose button doesn't really work. The Cremina takes a different dose than the Technika and when the party is on, and the house is a rockin', both machines will be going. Third, I like clean. No grinds out of bounds or left in the system. I can use the grinder brush by opening the doser funnel

The other thing I obsess with is to make this all happen with the least number of things. Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler as Albert E said (loose quote). This all needs to happen in the morning without any stimulus, right?

I found this scale - it has a nice plastic case that it sits in. I use double sided tape to secure the case the scale sits in to the machine. Otherwise the scale will fall off. To prevent grind spills, I use an Orphan Espresso dosing funnel. The other key to this cheap scale is that it can weigh up to 500g - this allows me to have the funnel and basket on. When the scale is turned on, it automatically starts at zero with the equipment on the scale.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Back- ... 00ME8VI34/

The Mazzer timers can be toggled or set, but I've found by just turning the timer far enough to turn on the grinder, but not so far as to engage the timer, I can dose within a .2 gram and I can always spoon out any extra.

It also has a cover, which prevents it from being damaged by something too heavy being put on it. This shows the edges of the case the scale sits in.