Versalab M3 stuck

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
iginfect

#1: Post by iginfect »

This is worse than belt slippage, it freezes completely, not turning and the small rear "wheel" getting hot. It grinds about 1/4 of beans then stalls. If they are fed in slowly instead of all at once, it doesn't freeze (yet). It is about 1 1/2 years old with a little less than 1#/week. Lightly roasted beans. I tore it apart for the first time and cleaned it without help. The burrs look to be new. Would Dr. Bean's cogged belt help? Can this be fixed without Terranova's complete rebuild? Am considering an HG One. What I liked is single dosing w/o retention.

Marvin

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by cpreston »

Have you asked Versalab about this? What did they suggest?

Advertisement
Possepat

#3: Post by Possepat »

The standard answer in the Canadian Navy would be to put some molasses on a slipping belt. They also use tabasco sauce on seized fasteners. Both seem crazy and I've witnessed both of them do the trick time after time.

I'm really enjoying the shots from my HG-one (formerly used a mazzer mini). Not minding the hand cranking at all but I can see how someone else might.
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Terranova »

iginfect wrote: Would Dr. Bean's cogged belt help?
No,

If the little rear wheel is getting hot, it must be something wrong with the motor (which is very rare).
Trying to reduce the error source:
1) Take off the belt and start the motor. (is the rear wheel still getting hot ?) Is it running smooth ?
2) Try to turn the big front wheel by hand and see if it runs smooth, (the shaft) or only with force.
if so, then follow # 3) and 4)
3) Open the screw at the bottom of the shaft (wiper screw)
4) Open the screw on top of the shaft, but hold the shaft with the other hand, because the shaft might fall out and scratches your bottom plate.
4) Check if the problem is caused by the big wheel touching the upper aluminium plate and try to move the bearings with your fingers and see if they are ok (running smooth without force)

Tell me if you see anything suspicious and give a quick feedback.
Don't send it somewhere where you have to pay big $ for nothing.

iginfect (original poster)

#5: Post by iginfect (original poster) »

Just called Versalab and awaiting a callback. Am not going to try molasses, have none but am well supplied with habanero sauce.

Marvin

Possepat

#6: Post by Possepat »

iginfect wrote:Am not going to try molasses, have none but am well supplied with habanero sauce.
:lol:
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

opother

#7: Post by opother »

iginfect wrote:This is worse than belt slippage, it freezes completely, not turning and the small rear "wheel" getting hot. It grinds about 1/4 of beans then stalls. If they are fed in slowly instead of all at once, it doesn't freeze (yet). It is about 1 1/2 years old with a little less than 1#/week. Lightly roasted beans. I tore it apart for the first time and cleaned it without help. The burrs look to be new. Would Dr. Bean's cogged belt help? Can this be fixed without Terranova's complete rebuild? Am considering an HG One. What I liked is single dosing w/o retention.

Marvin

I doubt the cogged belt would work. My Versalab is also stalling. It does have a relatively new Versalab belt on it that replaced my old slippage prone deformed belt. The newer belt on mine is not slipping all, but this morning (a few minutes ago) it stalled while I was grinding a double of Blue Bottle Hayes Valley Espresso and blew its fuse.

This is the second time this has happened to me this month (and the second blown fuse as well.) It is a new experience for me.

I have had the grinder for about 3 to 4 years already and it has served me somewhat well. I can't say with absolute certainty that this is not caused by Voltage spikes but I doubt it.

The fuses are very easy to replace and common so I will see how it pans out.

The morning was not lost however my super hero underdog OE PHAROS grinder came to the rescue and would you believe my first grind was a successful delicious shot pulled on my brewtus at 203 deg F, 36 seconds it gave me a little over an ounce. I used about 18 to 20 grams (my scale batteries are gone so I am dosing by ~ volume.)

To be fair I did dial in the neglected Pharos (not used only for a couple of months and dialed in for lower pressure lever machines) about a week ago (it took six shots to tune Pharos to Brewtus II last week, other times it takes only two to three. Nothing is absolute.) I am sure glad I did because this shot was great.

Advertisement
dsc

#8: Post by dsc »

With the small drive pulley getting hot, is this purely because it's rubbing against a stationary belt?

I believe all the stalling / slipping issues with the Versalabs are because the motor is underrated for the function it performs.

Regards,
dsc.

iginfect (original poster)

#9: Post by iginfect (original poster) »

I spoke to Laura yesterday at Versalab and she thinks I need a new belt. She suggested turning the current belt inside out and recleaning until the new one arrives. Am still feeding beans in a few at a time w/o stalling/stopping but w/ popcorning.

Marvin

opother

#10: Post by opother »

I am going to replace my fuse and plug it into an outlet that is known to have plenty of juice (current) to spare (the one dedicated to my Brewtus II) if it works flawlessly then it is probably due to voltage changes when kitchen appliances kick on.

My hint is that the newer belt on it is in no way knicked or deformed. I have seen this grinder deform and chew up a belt before slipping when used impropery (feeding beans into it before turning it on. It's another story I will pass up on telling it.)

As far as I know this motor is quite capable of chewing up a belt.

Yes I am using the grinder properly.