Versalab M3 grinder owners - Page 33

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AssafL

#321: Post by AssafL »

Terranova wrote:Stephen is refering to the calibration of the whole grinder which is true of course.
The shaft cannot be realigned without getting a bigger snug fit (press fit) milled inside the top plate for the new bearing(s) and a new shaft which is inside a press fitting.
Versalab is using glue to secure the bearings, anyway I doubt that your shaft is out of their tolerances which seem to be quiet generously (the tolerances).
Thanks for the info. Your videos are interesting. I should have a dial gauge somewhere I may be able to use.

Can't the existing bearing be readjusted to be parallel to the middle plate? Perhaps a plastic or rubber hammer to tap it into place?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

mark_M

#322: Post by mark_M »

Well after wanting one for 9 years I finally took the plunge! Should ship in a couple of weeks. I've owned John's record player for over 10 years so I'm confident I will be impressed with the improvement over my Rossi RR45! :)

michael

#323: Post by michael »

I also have one of johns record players; which one do you have 8)

mark_M

#324: Post by mark_M replying to michael »

I have the 1.2 with the power supply upgrade and the big 2 cylinder compressor upgrade. I recently replaced the caps and resistors which filter the motor control lines. That made a big improvement in the sound quality and also cured a motor whine issue I was having. Caps degrade over time. Let me know if you want the details.

Which one do you have?

lain2097

#325: Post by lain2097 »

Hi all, long time lurker here just wanted to add my experiences with this Versalab M3. Just got mine about a month ago - very seriously an improvement.

It was one of few options for me as:

-Switch coffees regularly
-Do decaf (see above)
-Must be short enough to fit under cabinets

Prior I had a Mazzer Mini E whilst very nice as well its retention was too much so switching grind settings or coffee needed to waste loads in the process. Plus the first shot was always a toss because old grinds sit in the throat. Understandably I did have reservations about the V-word as its peer review seems not so stellar. However the options were not any better, full blown commercial conicals are simply too big and really their design is not much different than flat burr in the retention area. As a former owner of SJ and Rossi RR45 I'm done with the sweeping thing.

So well here it is, honestly other than a cover (popcorning) which should be included and its height a tad low. It's the perfect home single dose grinder - at least to date. I was shocked that after one month of use I went in to clean it, wow there was barely 1g of stray grinds, most was hanging on to the edge of the burrs. I could make a espresso cleaning a Mazzer.

Here's the dirty close up pics...I have to admit it in person I get questions about it. Understated yet all business at the same time.

Verslab M3 vs Mazzer Mini E

What's not apparent and very surprising just how heavy it is. Over 20kg frig it's heavy; makes a Mazzer feel dinky.

michael

#326: Post by michael »

Mark

I have the versa 2.3, the 2 cylinders for the pump, label damper, red rollers etc.; have mine on a three piece granite stand john made for a while; also had some large caps that I got separately from john for the motor control which were great, but they haven't worked for a while

Can you give me the details of the upgrade 8)

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#327: Post by FotonDrv »

Does it grind coffee?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#328: Post by FotonDrv »

Lain2097, nice setup! The VL is very flexible in switching between beans and is the reason I bought one. BTW, I bought it before I bought a GS/3 and when the GS/3 came into my picture it made the shots much nicer than my old Rocky. BIG improvement.

I have since upgraded the VL but the OEM VL is pretty darn nice!

lain2097

#329: Post by lain2097 »

Thanks yea grinder grinder grinder. Jeeze Rocky to VL must have been quite the jump :shock:

Oh yes those "upgraded" Terranova always look awesome and seem to quell my concern over the bottom plate rusting from inevitable water drips and scrapes. Dunno after owning so many 'restaurant rehab' stuff, steel just screams - I'll rust. Hmm maybe I can bend a sheet of aluminium or something to make a quick and dirty tray? Amount of stray grinds that ends up there is far less than any prior girder I've owned however the potential water drips concerns me.

I can tell you have a recent GS/3 MP by the buttons and drip tray - yes I'll earn my stripes yet..

BTW, where does one get those wooden/plastic covers from that I've seen some have? Custom jobbies? Wood looks a bit heavy to me since the whole thing is metal from aesthetics, well to me anyway. But a nice plastic one would be just perfect as compared to my hokey hand cut tupperware lid. :|

This thing spoils me, I mean its distribution is so easy, eyeball 14g (two scoops), wait to finish, pulse once, scrape to level 'volcano', tamp, lock and load. None of this finger techniques like with other grinders I've used, well at least I find. Mazzer had to do all this work to get a decent distribution (no boulders) and truly fresh grinds. Call me strange but I don't like touching the coffee itself, especially if I'm making it for someone other than myself.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#330: Post by FotonDrv »

Yep, a big jump from Rocky to VL, but a real welcome trip!

I make those covers for the VL that have the bean catching recess in it. If you want the one shown send me a PM.

The wrinkle finish that VL uses is VERY TOUGH!!! It is hard to remove, I tried, and I eventually got it ground off so I could clearcoat it. Whew, what a task!

I use one of these for capturing the coffee grounds and prepping the PF Basket. I use it for the HG-One and the VL and it works fine for setting up the shot. I make the acrylic Basket Holders to be able to use it with the Acrylic Funnel AND the OE Tall Aluminum Funnels.

I sold the GS/3 and use this machine now, but I kept the VL :D
https://vimeo.com/87829678