Versalab M3 grinder owners - Page 32

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#311: Post by Italyhound »

I was just going to email you again, but was afraid with the radio silence...... NICE!!!!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#312: Post by FotonDrv replying to Italyhound »

Amazing that it took so long for the shipping people, USPS/DHL to get the box here. It arrived in good shape but I cannot same the same for the box. It had sat out in the rain, or a fire sprinkler got it because the box and some of the packing material was wet and the box was crushed a bit through the center where there is no foam blocks, just peanuts.

Frank did a good job of packing it, over and above the standard VL packing.

Happy camper so far!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Advertisement
spressomon

#313: Post by spressomon »

Good to know your wait is finally over. So: How does it taste?!
No Espresso = Depresso

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#314: Post by FotonDrv »

A bit less bright than the Kony or the HG-1. I seem to notice more caramel flavor than fruit flavors, although it is slight.

So now I will have a bean popper cap to sell that I made for the old version of the VL :-)

I will Post these on the Buy Sell section.

AssafL

#315: Post by AssafL »

joanes wrote:
They then proceeded in making a tool to measure the shaft alignment, and send it (at their own expenses to switzerland, and back).

I've realigned the shaft, but in the meantime bought a k10. I never checked if the problem was gone for good.
My VL is not perfectly aligned so I wonder:

1. How does the alignment probe work? Where does it measure the alignment of the shat?
2. What is the method to realign the shaft and bearing for perfect concentricity?

Much appreciated.

Assaf
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#316: Post by FotonDrv »

Unplug grinder. Pull the bottom cone off, exposing the wipers and burrs and after brushing off the old grounds look for gaps in the burrs as well as a side to side match. Get a set of feeler gauges to measure the gap. If the gap is more on one side than the other then you need to realign.

I might be all wrong but if you loosen the top 2 larger allen head bolts a little then the entire top shaft and motor assembly are loose enough to slide around. Run the top burr down to contacting the bottom burr firmly with the edges aligned on all sides. Then take the feeler gauges and check the space between the top plate and the tower; if it needs a shim to fill the gaps that might be found then go get the correct size and shim it and then retighten the top 2 bolts.

That is how I would do it, but I would be contacting Versalab for they might have a better plan. So I would recommend contacting them as well as watching their videos.

Good luck, it is not easy and after replacing some poorly manufactured burrs (visually not equal) I found out the technique for me.

Cheers,
Stephen

AssafL

#317: Post by AssafL »

Thank you Stephen.

Hmm. Always assumed the adjustments had to be done near the top bearing of the burr spindle.

So the alignment is done basically by sliding the top plate of the grinder (with the pulleys attached) or inserting some shims between the top plate and the tower.

Anyone know what Versalab recommended?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Advertisement
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#318: Post by FotonDrv replying to AssafL »

By sliding and lifting with shims, and you are correct, that is at the top on the top plate where the bearings are located.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#319: Post by FotonDrv »

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#320: Post by Terranova »

AssafL wrote:2. What is the method to realign the shaft and bearing for perfect concentricity?
Stephen is refering to the calibration of the whole grinder which is true of course.
The shaft cannot be realigned without getting a bigger snug fit (press fit) milled inside the top plate for the new bearing(s) and a new shaft which is inside a press fitting.
Versalab is using glue to secure the bearings, anyway I doubt that your shaft is out of their tolerances which seem to be quiet generously (the tolerances).