Versalab M3 grinder ordered today...

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Socalsteve

#1: Post by Socalsteve »

Hi all,

After reading tons of postings regarding this grinder, I decided that one person who bought an almost prototype and then was not willing to upgrade it for free was not going to stop me from buying what appears to be the best home grinder ever made.

I was told 3 weeks and then 3 days to ship to LA. But, Laura said it could be shorter.

I can't wait to get my hands on this beautiful, hand crafted piece of art and enjoy what all the other happy Versalab owners have experienced.

Review and pictures to follow once I use it for awhile.

Thanks to all who have weighed in on this subject ( that's been going on for almost 6 years). That's a long time to hold a grudge.

Just sayin'

Steve

hperry

#2: Post by hperry »

Congratulations on your purchase. I know it will give you much satisfaction. When I read the various tactics people have to use to adapt commercial grinders to the home environment I feel awfully good about the hassle-free four years that I have spent with the Versalab.
Hal Perry

shawndo

#3: Post by shawndo »

From all the reading I've done I think that the PR problems and new-product growing pains definitely affected more than one person. I think many of the PR issues were related to the fact that this is a low-production, boutique product which seems to be unique in the coffee world and maybe people weren't used to this. In other industries with boutique products (Savile Row suits, Jermyn St shirts and shoes, etc) you can expect to wait up to a year to get your order!
I think the debates were really about the made-to-order VS large-production>reseller business model.
If boutiques aren't your thing, then thats fine. The Compak K10 is an awesome grinder also.

As far as the "growing pains", it's been a few years since the first revisions and "passionate" threads. They have improved the product and from what I understand, all the revisions were backward-compatible.

In the end, I think the reported grind quality, single dose convenience and visual aesthetics are worth the perceived "boutique"-risk. (Not to mention in the case you don't like it, it'll be easier to resell than a custom suit)

I think I'm in your same production batch. I ordered one yesterday and was told "3 weeks" as well.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

ronsil

#4: Post by ronsil »

- I am confident you will never regret going with a Versalab M3.

Here in the UK I am a long way from 'Laura & co' but I have received nothing but perfect service since I purchased four years ago in the midst of all the PR storm going on.

I have found the Versalab 100% reliable, performing throughout every day & giving me perfect distribution without retention. It handles a change of beans or grind almost 'on the fly' taking a light or very dark roast in its stride..

Enjoy your new machine :)

Ron

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Steve, when your machine arrives, please do a comparison with the Vario for us.
Scott
LMWDP #248

tekomino

#6: Post by tekomino »

We did blind testing against Vario when I got my M3 almost year ago and we both unanimously preferred espresso ground by M3. There is just more richness and flavor there...

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

EricC
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by EricC »

Congratulations.

Grasshopper200

#9: Post by Grasshopper200 »

My M3 arrived a couple of weeks ago. Took about a day or two to get it down and now my shots are better than ever and less fussing too.

Socalsteve (original poster)

#10: Post by Socalsteve (original poster) »

Andrew,

We will have the exact same set up (Duetto II and M3).

Any suggestions, opinions, techniques, etc you can shed to me to make my espresso's wonderful???

As always, thank you in advance,

Steve