Vario-W and Oscar Day 1 No Bueno!!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
eastbaysanfranman

#1: Post by eastbaysanfranman »

Hi there. I have been using this site for some time and just signed up so this is my first post. I want to thank all of you who contribute as the information coming from these forums are absolute gold for those of us interested in espresso. I am a home coffee enthusiast who commonly stays up until 3am researching coffee stuff instead of looking for a job. (makes wife mad!!) As you can see my level of OCD in all of this is for one reason only, I LOVE coffee like nobody else I know.

So I did not know where to post this as I have machine as well as grinder questions but I believe I need to get the grinder figured out first and the questions about my new-to-me Oscar (how long to flush, what mods to do, etc.) I'll post on the machine forum in a couple days. Here goes for the Vario-W:

1) Most important!! I purchased a refurbished Vario-W and it came in the mail today. I believe it may have been a little off in it's factory calibration as I had to adjust finer all the way to A1 and it still was not fine enough. When calibrating, what noise does burr to burr contact sound like? With my Rocky, there is no question. Is it the same with the ceramic burrs? Also, with the Rocky if the burrs rub a little it is not a big problem as it is only the outside edge of the burrs which are touching and not the actual blades themselves. Does this hold true with the Vario? I am tempted to calibrate all the way to touching so as to have a starting reference point. I performed the burr calibration as per the manual (motor sounded labor some at around 1K) but this was not fine enough and I had to take it finer.

2) Just want to make sure. If I have beans in the hopper, NEVER move any slider bar unless the grinder is grinding, correct? I want to make absolutely sure as there is some waste when using this method and if I am paying around $16 - $17 for 12oz of beans this can get expensive. If this is important, can I begin grinding and move the slider bars quickly, with no finesse?

3) My shots just were not coming out good. I was using Rituals seasonal blend "hunters in the snow". There was one drinkable ristretto but the rest of the shots were bitter which took over any of the nuances I should have been tasting. Perhaps I was not at the right temperature with the Oscar. Maybe my clicking tamping mat needs to be calibrated for a little stronger of a tamp than 30 lbs. (feels a little light and lot's of gushers). Or maybe this blend is finicky, who knows? What I do know is I need to purchase a cheaper blend for awhile so that I can get some good practice dialing everything in. Perhaps two lbs. of Redbird or Bodka "main squeeze". Anyone happen to know if one of these may be more beginner friendly than the other?

Thanks!!

sonnyhad

#2: Post by sonnyhad »

As you've probably read coffee freshnessis important, and I know Bodka coffee puts the roast date on the bags. I also read recently about shims for the Vario to get it finer. Call them and get some on the way!
LMWDP 437

eastbaysanfranman (original poster)

#3: Post by eastbaysanfranman (original poster) »

sonnyhad wrote:As you've probably read coffee freshnessis important, and I know Bodka coffee puts the roast date on the bags. I also read recently about shims for the Gario to get it finer. Call them and get some on the way!
I just looked up the shims briefly. It seems that they had to do with the micro slider slipping during the earliest models. Let me know if you are referring to something different.

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM »

Baratza's website covers the setting and provides a brief video.
http://www.baratza.com/troubleshooting/
LMWDP #445

#5: Post by eastbaysanfranman (original poster) »

OK thanks. I calibrated the unit again. Try pulling shots again tomorrow. 1am is no good. (can you blame me, just got my new stuff going today) :D One thing that tripped me out is this excerpt from Baratzas PDF:

"Slowly rotate the tool finer until you begin to hear the motor labor and change pitch. The burrs are beginning to touch at this point."

It sounds like the burrs are MADE to touch together. Wondering why ultimate destruction doesn't occur. I'm still not sure if I calibrated correctly or not. Trying to figure out exactly what change of noise to set it at. Watching the video you'll notice that when he slides the macro all the way up in the beginning it starts a vibrating type noise (burrs touching?) and when he adjusts the micro in the first place you can hear the motor starting to labor already. He then does three twists with the wrench to make it labor even more. Guess I'll go recalibrate again now as it seems safe to go ahead and crank it a little. Just a little nervous about breaking my new Vario!

#6: Post by eastbaysanfranman (original poster) »

Oh man I'm wondering if I've overdone it! I found another youtube video on this site and it shows that first of all there is a "squealing" sound as the burrs approach each other which you need to get past. The video showed that perfectly calibrated, when you go notch to notch upward on the micro slider, the sound of the squealing started to go away and you could "definitely" hear the motor labor more and more. I was trying to duplicate this when there was a funny burning plasticky smell. I took the burr carrier off and there was fine white dust on the outer edge of the burrs. Definitely not going to sleep good tonight!

#7: Post by eastbaysanfranman (original poster) »

Has anybody had this happen before?

beer&mathematics

#8: Post by beer&mathematics »

eastbaysanfranman wrote:Oh man I'm wondering if I've overdone it! I found another youtube video on this site and it shows that first of all there is a "squealing" sound as the burrs approach each other which you need to get past. The video showed that perfectly calibrated, when you go notch to notch upward on the micro slider, the sound of the squealing started to go away and you could "definitely" hear the motor labor more and more. I was trying to duplicate this when there was a funny burning plasticky smell. I took the burr carrier off and there was fine white dust on the outer edge of the burrs. Definitely not going to sleep good tonight!
I would contact Baratza directly. I hear they have excellent customer service and will probably put your mind at ease.

As to trying Bodka's Main Squeeze: heck ya!

I pulled the last shots of my bag and it is very nice medium blend that tastes like a twix bar with milk. Even as straight espresso it is good bit a bit of spice so as not to be boring. Also, order bonus from Bodka is the 4oz for $4 samplers--you can't afford not to buy them :lol:
LMWDP #431

#9: Post by eastbaysanfranman (original poster) »

So I didn't call Baratza today. I should be on that tomorrow. Instead I took the extra time I had to pull shots. I got the timing down for sure. I have to wonder, though, if the grinding down I did on the burrs will affect consistency. Hopefully Baratza will be able to answer that question. I'm not sure if they will as I cannot seem to find anyone as dumb as I am to take the grinder that far. In one of the videos it sounded so much cleaner like you could really hear the motor labor more and more with each micro click. On mine, the sound is so loud that it is a little unclear as to when the motor is laboring. It sounds different when you bring the burrs together, but hard to distinguish the motor actually slowing down. If they can't answer I just might plunk down the $40 for new burrs if for nothing else then for peace of mind.

I ended up ordering some Redbird last night. I would have considered Bodka but I need the beans soon with all the practice shots I'm pulling and Montana is a lot closer to California. Perhaps I'll preplan and order some Bodka next time. The samples sound fun. I'd like to get a bunch of them and try a different coffee every day!

DanoM

#10: Post by DanoM »

eastbaysanfranman wrote:I ended up ordering some Redbird last night. I would have considered Bodka but I need the beans soon with all the practice shots I'm pulling and Montana is a lot closer to California. Perhaps I'll preplan and order some Bodka next time. The samples sound fun. I'd like to get a bunch of them and try a different coffee every day!
I think the post office will say that both locations are the same 2-day priority from Concord, California.

Both vendors are great roasters though, so either way you'll be happy. (Bodka Main Squeeze Espresso blend is about the easiest to dial in bean I have ever encountered though.)
LMWDP #445