Vario K30 - old style

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chuckcoffee

#1: Post by chuckcoffee »

I picked up a used Vario K30. I have done some adjusting on it but am finding that the grind point for espresso is pretty well when the burrs are touching. The counter for doubles is showing 38,505 and singles about 4,000. Figured thats about 1400 lbs and I have seen that at 1600 lbs burrs need to be changed.
Going through the forum looks like I have 2 potential moves here

- new set of burrs
- change from old style to new style upper burr carrier

Just looking for comments and feedback from K30 owners that have been through this.

boost

#2: Post by boost »

I would just replace the burrs.
The updated grid chamber/ burr carrier is $300 if I'm not mistaken. You will get slightly less clumping due to silicone flap and less chance of binding due to brass upper carrier. I don't think it has that much impact otherwise.

Advertisement
Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

Absolutely replace the burrs. Anyone who wants to keep high quality grind replaces well before the mfg rated life expectancy. And your calculations for 1400lb is assuming 14g/7g. Run the numbers for 20g/10g and it's 1784lb well beyond even the mfg max life rating.
Mike McGinness

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Ok, thanks. Does Chris Coffee stock new burrs? Or any other recommendations?

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC replying to chuckcoffee »

Chris' Coffee doesn't carry any Malhkonig burrs. Best bet (and like price) is to contact Malhkonig USA directly.

Upper burr carrier runs $256
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

boost

#6: Post by boost »

As of this spring new burrs is $126 and updated EK11b grind chamber is $319 per Brian from Mahlkonig US, his contact info is on Mahlkonig US page I believe.

#7: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Spoke with Brian so I should see the new grinding burrs about May 30. they have to travel from California to Ontario, Canada so not bad. I'll report back once they are installed.

He did say that beside static/clumping issues a reason they went with the new design was to eliminate the problem of people cross threading the upper burr carrier. For now I am just doing the burrs.

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

boost wrote:As of this spring new burrs is $126 and updated EK11b grind chamber is $319 per Brian from Mahlkonig US, his contact info is on Mahlkonig US page I believe.
I just purchased the updated grind chamber 2 weeks ago & quoted price (Brian) was $256 as Tom posted.
LMWDP 267

#9: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

I just purchased the updated grind chamber 2 weeks ago & quoted price (Brian) was $256 as Tom posted.
John - Have you received it yet? I would be interested in your impression of the improvements.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

Received & installed. With the old style chamber the K30 spits out small balls of grounds. With the new chamber you get a nice clump free output.

I sent you a PM.
LMWDP 267