Using a silicone prep bowl to clear grounds from chute = no more sweeping

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
russel

#1: Post by russel »

I've mentioned this before in passing, but it was new info to several seasoned members when I brought it up in a recent discussion. These little silicone prep bowls fit snugly around the collar of a pre-hopper-aware Super Jolly's burr carrier. After you grind your single dose, you can put it on and give it good firm push, maybe two. It pushes enough air through the burr chamber to flush most if not all the grounds out the chute and into the doser. If you're lazy you can put it in place before grinding and it will keep your beans inside the grinder, although it will do less to reduce the effects of pop-corning than a tamper. I haven't confirmed this, but my suspicion based on basic use is that it will actually clear some of the grounds residing in the burr chamber that sweeping doesn't touch.

This idea exists in some other products, notable the little black rocket shaped bellows. The thing is that these bowls are 4 for $5, and work really really well on an SJ. Effectiveness with other grinders varies. I had to find much larger bowls to get similar results on a Compak. This doesn't work at all on my Anfims.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

roadman
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by roadman »

Thanks for the tip. I'd like to try it out but didn't see them listed on the World Market site. Did purchase these at World Market?

iginfect

#3: Post by iginfect »

I think I got mine at OE(can't find 'em at their site) and I've seen them at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Silicone-P ... 00080FPZM/. Mine are used to weigh out my dose and then to pour into the grinder. Then it goes under the pf on the Versalab and when the pf is removed, it catches some grinds and then I flush the grinder into the bowl and add it all to the pf.

Marvin

Clint Orchuk

#4: Post by Clint Orchuk »

roadman
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by roadman »

Thank you all for the info. I'm gonna rush out and try it on the ol' SJ.

pacificmanitou

#6: Post by pacificmanitou »

This is fantastic. I put my super jolly away cause of the retention. It's the main reason I switched to a Pharos (then I was met with the magic things done inside conical burrs). I'll have to pick these up. If it works, I'll be putting the jolly back on the bar for secondary grinding.

If you have video of this action, I would enjoy it.
LMWDP #366

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

russel wrote:This idea exists in some other products, notable the little black rocket shaped bellows.
For those who are wondering, see Grinder Cleaning Blower:

Dan Kehn

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by dumpshot »

FYI - just found these exact silicone prep bowls in the dollar bin at Target. Pack of two for a buck.

Pete
LMWDP #484

beer&mathematics

#9: Post by beer&mathematics »

HB wrote:For those who are wondering, see Grinder Cleaning Blower:

<image>
Those Rocket air blowers are as essential to my every day coffee prep as coffee itself!
LMWDP #431

wsfarrell

#10: Post by wsfarrell »

For what it's worth, I just posted this about another World Market product that's even better than the Silicone Prep bowls.