User Experience: Helor 101 Hand Grinder - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#91: Post by samuellaw178 »

dmw010 wrote:Yes, it is, though I didn't realize it at first. I now weigh my beans in the catch cup, then load directly into the top of the grinder. Very elegant and efficient design. I'm getting great results grinding for espresso. I haven't tried pourover yet with either burr (I got both).

@leozava mentioned he finds the Feldgrind easier to crank, all I can say is that the Helor seems pretty easy to me and does fit in the hand perfectly.
Haha, yeah it wasn't that obvious right out of the box. I didn't know that until I read about it. Quite an efficient and logical system. I use the cup to measure out the dose. While the cup is out, I normally have a quick look at the bottom to make sure the grind setting is where I want. The workflow is just very smooth and non-awkward.

The brew burrs can do espresso as well, albeit taking a bit more turn. I kinda regretted for not getting it as now I wonder if it will taste different/better/worse than the espresso burrs. When you do get to try it for espresso let us know. :P

Bob_McBob

#92: Post by Bob_McBob »

If you use the catch cup to weigh and fill the hopper for the Feldgrind or Helor, RDT is a lot more difficult because the ground coffee sticks to the moisture in the cup.
Chris

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#93: Post by samuellaw178 »

But you don't need to RDT. A knock or two on your palm or a rubber tamper mat is all you need. Initially, I do find RDT is needed to minimize static. But the static will reduce significantly after a month of light use, rendering RDT a completely unnecessary step. Once you have used it for a while, try again without RDT.

Bob_McBob

#94: Post by Bob_McBob »

I don't "need" to RDT with any hand grinder regardless of its age, but the enormous reduction in static keeps things much cleaner than just tapping, especially in the winter.
Chris

thebookfreak58

#95: Post by thebookfreak58 »

Not the best photo but is this showing burrs are out? My V60 isn't tasting great and can see the big rocks/inconsistent grind that floated on the edge?

Katoci

#96: Post by Katoci »

Not the same grinder, and not the same preparation method, but I had the same issue with my HG1 until the burrs were broken in. Mine needed over 10 kg of coffee, te be perfect.

thomasben

#97: Post by thomasben »

Can anyone comment on the Helor vs the Lido E? Deciding between these two at the moment and having difficulty haha.

Advertisement
mania

#98: Post by mania replying to thomasben »

I have not tried the Helor but have the Lido 3 which is the same I believe as the Lido E except the E has finer threads making fine adjustments more precise for espresso

I have been using the Lido 3 about a year now & have nothing but good things to say about it.

thomasben

#99: Post by thomasben »

Been using it for both espresso and drip?

max

#100: Post by max »

I have been using a feldgrind and Lido 3 and am so much happier with the feldgrind. The same would probably be true for Helor