Used Compak K6 motor not working

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
macgarth

#1: Post by macgarth »

I had the opportunity to pick up a used Compak K6 grinder at a very reasonable price. It was used in a commercial setting so upon arrival I wanted to thoroughly clean, remove any residue and change out the burrs. I removed the top, changed the burrs and gave a good cleaning and also removed the doser and did the same. After putting it all back together, I plugged the grinder in, hit the switch and nothing happened. When I hit the switch, the power light comes on but it doesn't sound like the motor is initiating at all. I did nothing in regards to the internal electrical and it was working before I got my hands on it.

In the doser area if does look like there is an auto shut off that if the doser became full, it would move a flap and that flap would then engage an auto shut off. In putting it back together that piece does not look like its in the auto off position. I'm not sure if I triggered something internally, possibly knocked an internal loose. Any ideas?

As far as diagrams, I just google imaged compak K6 and followed those images as how to remove and put back together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

billt

#2: Post by billt »

The auto-fill mechanism operates a micro-switch located at the top front of the grinder. It's quite likely that it's just a mis-placed linkage in the doser mechanism. From my photographs from my dis-assembly when I got mine nearly 10 years ago, it would seem that the micro switch drives a 10A relay between the mains switch and the motor, so the electrics are very simple.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the doser assembly, which has long gone, but the micro switch is easily bypassed for testing purposes.

Looking at those pictures reminds me how disgusting the machine (ex cafe) was!

macgarth (original poster)

#3: Post by macgarth (original poster) »

Thanks for the info and pictures Bill. Mine was a little cleaner than that and that took a while to clean so I could only imagine the work you had ahead of you. Those pictures helped out. I had the doser and the auto shut off configured correctly so I removed the bottom and took a look at the electrical. There was nothing obvious as far as loose connections were concerned so I disconnected them one by one and rough them up with sand paper a little bit and reconnected. It took a while to go through one by one but eventually I got the grinder working. If the problem persists I'll go ahead and try to order a replacement wiring harness for it.

Here is the finished product.

Ellejaycafe

#4: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Holy crap how does a grinder get that disgusting!? I can imagine any coffee that came from tasted so rancid.
LMWDP #544