Custom scale Pharos adjustment method success

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
day

#1: Post by day »

So, i was going to do the on handle protractor, thanks for that tutorial post rpavli i ended up starting out with a printed tape measure on the jam nut but have now received a custom made scale ring with nylon tipped set screw. All for 25 bucks with shipping, incredible imo.

This is the final , i may post new pictures later with my nice camera to do it justice. It has an 85 mm circumference and is threaded according to my grinder (1/2-20, older models were apparently different) so each marking is about 2.8mm apart, sufficiently close.

EDIT: Came back with pictures from my camera.

Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

taildraggin

#2: Post by taildraggin »

I align the clamp slot of the shaft collar with the handle and hold the handle in the same place each time (straight back). Then, look down to adjust from clock timing. E.G.: My espresso starting point is ~9:00 (3/4 turn from zero) and press is ~12 o'clock, 2 turns out.

I may be quite wrong, but I tune the grind for each roast or store bought bag a pinch either way as it gets used up, so great indexing isn't that necessary to me. Just discovering the universal-ish starting point is.

(Not saying that a small change can't make a big difference - a bitty movement changed an espresso quite significantly today. But, the beans vary so much by lot and over the course of the week that index precision isn't that important.)

Adding the nylon tipped set screws to the shaft collar is a nice improvement (as per voodoodaddy), if you shift grinds a couple times a day: http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-tipped-s ... ws/=vu8vvz

day (original poster)

#3: Post by day (original poster) »

Thread is now updated with pictures of custom made scale ring:) simple but perfect imo

day (original poster)

#4: Post by day (original poster) »

Hehe sorry to reincarnate a thread of no major interest but i had to share this. When i installed the ring i did not fully toque down the nylon locking screw. I should also have put a jam but between them, but anyway, when i first did espresso it slid over 3 notches exactly from zero, then i locked it and hasn't moved since.

I only say this because it turns out that when i dialed in 12 grams for my v60 it dialed in at exactly 1full revolution plus 2nd notch...so 12 on the scale.

I then dialed in for 18 grams and it turned out that the 18 in the scale was perfect.

Everything in between has also been perfect (13 and 15 anyway) so apparently 1/10 of a revolution-or .005 inch change in grind size is the perfect adjustment for 1gram changed on my small v60 pourover.

12g=set to 12
15g=set to 15

Sorry i was just really excited about the happy accident and had to share