Troubleshooting grind fineness of new Mahlkönig K30

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zmz

#1: Post by zmz »

I have a completely new Mahlkönig Vario K30 which seems to grind at the same fineness no matter what: The grinders grind fineness is at the same level at every setting - either it is 1, 3, 5 or 10. So it seems to be broken in some way.

What could I do? What could be wrong?

lain2097

#2: Post by lain2097 »

I never used that exact grinder however to me if you're troubleshooting a new issue like that, try setting the grind to way way off. See if it changes to coarse gravel.

If not you probably have some sort of issue? Take it up with a vendor.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Could be the burr travel is stuck. Maybe take it apart for normal cleaning and maintenance and see if there's an inordinate amount of coffee affecting the burrs travel.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jmc

#4: Post by jmc »

Talk to the people you bought it from.
John

Flipper

#5: Post by Flipper »

Hey,

you must see a difference on the different settings on a new grinder! For what reason ever it seems to me that the grinder cover (with the steps on) has no connection to the actual grinding gear. The connection is maintained through the two allen screws right underneath the hopper. You can see the two screws after removing the hopper and the silicone ring. If these screws are not in place moving the grindings adjustment (meaning the entire cover) does not affect the setting at all.
In any case see your retailer with this defect!

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie »

Martin,

It sounds like someone took off the top cover and reinstalled it after messing with the red alignment marks.

Go to about 3:45 on this video and follow his steps to return your grinder back to normal. There *should* be no need to remove the burr carrier; just move the alignment of your red tick marks to the right and reinstall the top cover per your user manual instructions.
Also, here's anopther thread for you with pictures

Hope this helps.
Merle