Troubleshooting/Fixing Baratza Vario (and Upgrade Recommendation)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
pearlmikejam

#1: Post by pearlmikejam »

I have been struggling with my Vario for the last 6 months. After several posts here and some emails to Baratza, I have discovered an issue with my Vario.

The short history is that I have been unable to really dial in a shot (to my liking) with the Vario for the last 6 months or so. I have cleaned it and attempted to calibrate twice in the last three months. The grinder only gets used for espresso shots on the weekends, so it gets used 6 times, at most, a week. Usually just 2-3 times. The grinder is less than 3 years old.

Here is what I discovered...

The 2mm adjustment nut is not able to calibrate. After trading emails with Baratza, they sent me literature showing how to adjust the hidden 2.5mm adjustment. When I originally tried adjusting it, the nut was very tight. I loosened it slightly and then securely tightened it. After doing this, I was able to calibrate the grinder, but it was late at night and I was not going to pull a shot. A few days later when I went to pull a shot, I ground some beans and got a french press like grind on my previously calibrated espresso setting. Adjusting the macro and micro settings changed nothing to the fineness or coarseness of the grind. After looking all over the grinder to determine what was wrong, I discovered that the 2.5mm adjustment screw is in a plate that is just floating. With the screw as tight as I can get it, the plate above it just floats backwards and forwards. Grinding anything results in the coarsest of grind.

After more tinkering, I jammed that plate back and was able to partially calibrate. I now have fine grinding, but calibrating with the 2mm screw resulted in a grinder that needed to move 4 macro settings for an espresso shot, which was still pouring too long. The macro adjustment, based on the motor noise, sounds like it moves the burrs apart until the Filter setting, and then starts to labor closer to the French Press setting. I am basically stuck on one setting.

That said, has anyone experienced this? Is the floating plate something I can fix or does this need professional repair? Why would this happen to a lightly used grinder less than 3 years old?

Finally, it may be time to upgrade. I am reluctant to do so, but I probably at least need to look into it. I asked this elsewhere, but want to get more feedback. What is the next level grinder I should consider? I do not want a manual grinder, but want to consider any recommendations folks have that will clearly be an upgrade. I really need something that will fit under a cabinet, and the smaller footprint, the better, but I do not want to limit myself at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

Unfortunately the adjustment mechanism is the Vario's weak link. The adjustment bar is not fixed, but flops around loose, and the problem is further compounded by a poor design of the way it's supposed to be captured. The adjustment instructions must be followed to the letter.

There is a short plastic tab that sticks up and is supposed to keep the adjustment bar in position through a hole in its front. If the bar slips out of position, almost impossible to get the grind adjusted. The W I have had the primary adjustment almost all the way forward. This made it difficult to adjust for espresso, and also made it easier for the bar to slip. Make sure when handling the machine empty that the macro lever is all the way up.

If the bar slips out of position, turn the machine upside down and jiggle the bar forward while moving the macro lever up and down. You'll see the point at which the bar will stay towards the front and move up and down with the lever. Push the macro lever all the way up and hold it while turning it back right side up. Sounds complicated, but gets easy after doing it a few times.

Other than that, have been happy with the W. No mess, very little waste, and good grind quality. And dosing by weight built in.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

pearlmikejam (original poster)

#3: Post by pearlmikejam (original poster) replying to cuppajoe »

Thanks David. I got a reply from Baratza yesterday, and it was not nearly as informative as yours. They wanted me to send it for repair at a cost of nearly 1/4 the grinder cost. After all the Vario reading I have done lately, I am inclined to put the money towards a new grinder.

I hope to have time tonight or tomorrow to look at the adjustment bar. One other question...does this require the grinder to be apart? Everything I have done has been with the hopper off, and nothing else.

Thanks again!

cuppajoe

#4: Post by cuppajoe »

No, in fact in the process of handling it during disassembly will usually cause the bar to come loose.

To get it back in place just turn it upside down with the catch cup removed and pull the rubber plug under the head. You'll see the bar, and if it doesn't move up and down with the macro lever it's probably out of place. Just jimmy it around while moving the macro lever, and once it seems to be in position hold the lever full up while righting it.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

danetrainer

#5: Post by danetrainer »

pearlmikejam wrote:Thanks David. I got a reply from Baratza yesterday, and it was not nearly as informative as yours. They wanted me to send it for repair at a cost of nearly 1/4 the grinder cost. After all the Vario reading I have done lately, I am inclined to put the money towards a new grinder.
Mike, your Vario sounds similar in age to mine & I found out there are a half dozen incremental changes in parts to make the setting much more consistent. The "repair" price is actually quite reasonable because all those parts will be updated as well as it being "repaired" by someone very qualified. I struggled with similar issues with mine, but being a professional machinist/mechanic I did not sent it in...but then...nearly a piece at a time over about 6 months finally overcame the inconsistency I was having with it.

The issue with mine turned out to be the fit between the large plastic gear and the burr carrier that rides on the adjuster fulcrum and is supposed to slide through the "hex" portion of that gear. I can't recall how many times I completely disassembled my Vario trying to overcome that hub riding up again...lets say at least a dozen! When I ordered the new large drive gear, it now has a bronze bushing inside of it, fixing my problem.

I would send it in & relate to them your primary usage for it, whether espresso or drip.

pearlmikejam (original poster)

#6: Post by pearlmikejam (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the responses. I finally figured out what the problem was. The 2.5mm adjustment had a steel bar that had come loose from the front of the grinder. I thought it was the back, but the bar extends from the back into the front near the 2mm adjustment. I had just been trying to set that bar in the back, but that was not the problem. After getting it set in the front, I was easily able to get it calibrated, and the calibration seems to have stayed.

This should work fine until I determine what new grinder to get. Thanks everyone for the help.