Trouble with finer grind setting on new Mazzer Mini E

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DeanOelsch

#1: Post by DeanOelsch »

Hi guys

I just bought a new Mazzer Mini E. When I grind it close to the sticker supplied, I can get a pretty coarse 17g-19g in 17 seconds. On the espresso machine that equates to channeling, gushing and about 90ml in 10 seconds.

When I go finer, almost to the point at which I feel is where I should be at (at about 4 on the collar) the grinds come to a complete standstill and almost stop coming out. It's as if the beans just spin around inside. I have tried 4 different beans, all of which work perfectly on my Vario grinder. I have cleaned the machine twice. When I grind as fine as it will allow, I get about 5g-7g in 17 seconds and still then it's too coarse for espresso shots.

Any advice? Do I need to run some beans through to break it in?

Ps. This is a brand new machine, out the box.

Thanks

Devin H

#2: Post by Devin H »

I bought an open box mazzer mini e a few weeks ago and haven't run across what you are describing. Having run through grinding issues with my Rocky, my initial assumptions are as follows:

the burrs are not reasonably parallel (haven't heard of many mazzer's having this issue though...)
- possible manufacturing issue? maybe knocked out of place during shipping? Both seem unlikely to me.
-OR-
you are adjusting the collar the wrong way (Mazzer uses reverse threads) but I imagine you are smarter than this :D
-OR-
you are using old beans
- I'd imagine the beans would have to be pretty old to not get a fine enough grind on your mazzer's finest settings
-OR-
something I'm not thinking of...

Here are a few questions:
1. how old are your beans?
2. When you cleaned the machine how far did you go? Remove the burr carrier and assembly, adjustment collar, etc. or maybe just didn't put the hopper on and blew some air through??
3. have you followed any How-to videos like Whole Latte Love's "How to calibrate a grinder"?

tach18k

#3: Post by tach18k »

I got the same machine yesterday, the B version, and yes going too fine stops the flow of grounds, you got it too fine, really!. You need to back it off maybe a 1/8 inch movement on the dial. Also make sure the chute slide is fully open. I have goine through a ponud and a half of beans so far adjusting it. Get the grind done first, you may need to grind over so you can dose correctly, then once you get the gind right, then settle on time adjustment. I have also read that the double time limit may not adjust and will run out of space, so adjust the single dose for half of the double and use it twice if that happens, I will run my another pound or more tonight to fine tuen it, The grind adjusment is close, from good to choking the portafilter.

DeanOelsch (original poster)

#4: Post by DeanOelsch (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply.

As I said I have tried 4 different beans. Only
1 batch was a couple months old. I wasted 500g of new beans that were roasted a week ago and now the final attempt is with beans from a couple weeks back.

I ran into this problem and then decided to try clean it. I removed the collar and cleaned the chute and the burrs. I have done this twice (while watching a how to video with Seattle Coffee Gear). The grinds when coarse appear to be consistent so I assume alignment isn't an issue...

Will check our the grinder video from Whole Latte Love.

Thank you

#5: Post by DeanOelsch (original poster) »

tach18k wrote:I got the same machine yesterday, the B version, and yes going too fine stops the flow of grounds, you got it too fine, really!. You need to back it off maybe a 1/8 inch movement on the dial. Also make sure the chute slide is fully open.
Thanks for the reply... I take it then that a tiny adjustment makes a big difference... I guess, as this is my first stepless grinder, I need to get used to that.

I did follow this and got it pretty close. Nice crema, good double in 28 seconds... The one thing that is bothering me is the time to grind. Will this get quicker? I think it was like 32 seconds for 16g... From everything I have read, that seems really slow...

tach18k

#6: Post by tach18k »

I hear that putting in Super Jolly burrs get faster results. I do have a set I will try out soon. I the grind is way different than the Vario I have. I'm using it to weigh my changes for now, then will sell it.

Devin H

#7: Post by Devin H »

That seems too long. The machine has a warning on the side that says 20 seconds on then 30 seconds off to save the motor over time. That warning seems to indicate also that it should take less than 20 sec for a standard shot. hope you didnt hurt the motor when you set the grinder too fine... also having only enough coffee in the hopper for a single shot will extend the grind time as the beans will tend to hop out since more beans are not on top of them. I havent timed my grinder for a double shot grind time but I will test it at home tonight and let you know.

tach18k

#8: Post by tach18k »

and I read that on the Mazzer you should dump about 20 seconds of grind after an adjustment to clear the old grind out.

#9: Post by DeanOelsch (original poster) »

Devin H wrote:That seems too long. The machine has a warning on the side that says 20 seconds on then 30 seconds off to save the motor over time. That warning seems to indicate also that it should take less than 20 sec for a standard shot. hope you didnt hurt the motor when you set the grinder too fine... also having only enough coffee in the hopper for a single shot will extend the grind time as the beans will tend to hop out since more beans are not on top of them. I havent timed my grinder for a double shot grind time but I will test it at home tonight and let you know.
Thanks Dave. Motor seems fine. If the grind is set to coarse, it really does fly out. 20g in 12 seconds. As it goes finer it gets slower and clumpier. I actually have the hopper pretty full so that's also not a real issue.

I have just run some comparative shots with my Vario using the exact same beans and weight. Vario is producing nice, fluffy grinds in half the time compared to the Mazzer which is a bit clumpy and slow. The shots are really nice from the Vario as opposed to uneven, thin and channeling from the MM. Not ideal. I am HOPING I need to break it in and get 5lbs of beans through it to make it join the party but I am not too hopeful that will work...

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

I'll give it a week and if it doesn't come right I may take it back.

tach18k

#10: Post by tach18k »

I just checked mine again, about 17.5 grams in 16 seconds. Fluffy with some clumps, 2oz shot in about 25 seconds. I may go a bit tighter on the grind.