Toss out your grinder?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

Well, I won't be tossing mine, but an excellent alternative to pod coffee will soon be available nationwide (U.S. that is).

Perfect Coffee is the brain child of Neil Day, who invented a way to pregrind and package quality coffees that preserves their quality for several weeks, if not months. He partnered up with high-end roasters to prove he was serious and passed out samples at events like CoffeeCon, where I got mine last year.

One of the roasters who approved his method and licensed him to sell their coffees was Blue Bottle. Now they have bought his company and will be scaling up for national distribution.

These are not pods, by the way. They are packets of coffee, ground for different brewing methods, that you empty into your brewer of choice. While I wouldn't toss my grinders for this, I would definitely prefer it to hand-grinding coffee in my Porlex in a hotel room.

Press release here: https://bluebottlecoffee.com/frequency/ ... lue-bottle.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#2: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

It all sounds warm and fuzzy. But for now I'll equate it to shopping in the grocery store: I stick to the outer perimeter for raw ingredients and skip all the prepacked products with ingredients that have more than 3 or 4 syllables. I already have enough chemicals mixed in with my daily calorie intake. Along with Illy and Lavazza, please tell me how this product be any different?
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

sashaman

#3: Post by sashaman »

I'm interested in knowing more about their process. Doesn't Nespresso fill their pods with an inert gas? How is this different?

Marshall (original poster)

#4: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

Tom@Steve'sEspresso wrote: please tell me how this product be any different?
It tastes very good.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Marshall (original poster)

#5: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

sashaman wrote:I'm interested in knowing more about their process. Doesn't Nespresso fill their pods with an inert gas? How is this different?
It's proprietary. But there is no comparison with Keurig, etc. And it ain't cheap.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

Does this thread relate to that product: La Marzocco's experiment - Can you taste the difference??
LMWDP #198

malling

#7: Post by malling »

it's only for brewed coffee, not espresso, as you can never get the correct brew with pre grounded coffee across multiple machines (types) and grinders.

I have tried something similar for brewed, and it was in fact more then just drinkable, and I could see myself using in on vacations, so if this improves on it, it's massive step forward, to offering better coffee to the masses.

besides it's a faff taking all the necessary equipment with you on vacation, if this can mean that I can get good coffee without it, find me on board.

JmanEspresso

#8: Post by JmanEspresso »

This is huge if it really is as good as grinding fresh coffee just before you use it.

Its not a huge deal for us, the enthusiasts. We already are willing to go through the trouble of purchasing coffee that is fresh, buying only enough to last two weeks or so, grinding it properly seconds before we use it, and then repeating the process when the coffee is stale.

In my experience, that is one of the major reasons you cant get other people into fresh coffee. I try all the time, and there is two general types of people with the same outcome usually. Type 1, doesnt care at all, tastes no difference between dunkin donuts and intelligentsia, and no matter how much you try, they wont ever see coffee as anything more then a caffeine delivery system, or a word to describe a sugary flavored milkshake. To them, we are snobs, and wrong. Type 2, CAN taste the difference. They love coming to your house to drink your coffee, because they DO taste a difference between dunkin donuts and intelligentsia. Maybe you're a home roaster, so they even enjoy when you send them a bag now and then. But when they go back home, they're still going to buy their coffee at the grocery store, and they're still going to hit Starbucks in the morning for a venti caramel macchiato. They DO taste a difference in the coffee, they DO agree fresh makes a difference.. But they're not going to go through all the trouble to do it every morning.

The people who will really benefit from a technology like this, are the type 2 people. Because if they can have coffee that tastes as good as when their coffeegeek friend makes it, or the out of the way cafe doing things right, AND they dont have to pay attention to buying coffee frequently from the right place, storing it properly and pay attention to the roast date, buy a good grinder and use it seconds before use.. If they can enjoy fresh coffee by skipping all that, then they probably will.

And if more people get to enjoy truly excellent coffee, well thats good no matter how you look at it.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv »

Chert wrote:Does this thread relate to that product: La Marzocco's experiment - Can you taste the difference??
Probably so with the commonality being preserving the coffee being ground while it is being ground and never seeing O2.

I took part in that test and could not see a big difference in taste, only slight difference.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

day

#10: Post by day »

Of course it would have to be individual portion sizes, yes?

Seems like it would end up like a tea bag or pod system and the product would have to dictate brew method as shelf in sufficient grind variety and doses would be inconceivable.

I am not particularly interested in this myself, but i suppose the real advantage for us "group 3" in my mind would be potentially reducing costs for high quality fresh whole bean. If you could truly
Stall the aging process of the whole bean then quality roasters could roast and wait on it to sell instead of pulling from shelves, etc. and we as consumers could choose a coffee we want without as much regard for age, opening up a greater variety and opportunity for deals...if it was somehow magic and if everyone was doing it:)
This would, eventually, crowd the smaller local roasters out of the market-but now we are really delving in fictional future scenarios.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone