Tamper for Mazzer single dosing

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SchillerM

#1: Post by SchillerM »

I picked up a Mazzer Super Jolly (Rio Normale version), cleaned it all up and about to put it in service.
I have ran a few beans through to start getting the rough dial-in done. Will fine tune once I buy more fresh beans..
I don't have room for the hopper, and am only pulling a few shots per morning at home. I used a 58/52mm (I think thats the small size) dual sided tamper that I had laying around, the 58mm side is too big, won't drop all the way in, when I used the 52mm side I had beans stuck underneath it.

Are you guys using tampers that fit all the way down? Or is the point just to prevent stuff from flying up and out?

Only put about 30grams of beans through it so far, WOW on the consistency, looking forward to pulling my first shot from its grind.
Matt

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

If you're looking for something to put in the chute temporarily, you can use a multitude of various things, pill bottles, spice jars, etc. An easy stopper to put in the top would be a plain glass spice jar, you can fill it with some pennies if you want for weight, and use that.

A cheap dual sided plastic tamper is likely too light to do the job well and would probably rattle around too much.

If you want something nice, that doesn't break the bank, hit up Steven (FotonDvr) who can turn a simple aluminum cylinder that would fit perfectly and help prevent pop-corning.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

chopinhauer

#3: Post by chopinhauer »

A 58mm blind filter basket fits perfectly. You can fit beans for at least a triple 58mm shot or two doubles for a domestic lever (Pavoni, Cremina, PV lusso etc) under the blind filter.
LMWDP #027

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

While I was waiting for my short mini hopper to arrive I used a screw lid off of a mason jar which fit over the top perfectly. Not the most elegant solution but worked in a pinch for a week or so

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee