Summary of LIDO 2 vs. Knock Hausgrind manual grinders?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
klylor

#1: Post by klylor »

Hey everyone,

I left the country right when both of the Lido 2 and Hausgrind became available, and I have not been able to follow the debate between the two of them. I'm looking to get one of the two when I get back home, and I would love if someone would be willing to provide a summary of the findings, pros, cons, and how the grinders have held up over time; reading through over 500 comments is not something I'm super keen on undertaking.

In terms of my setup: I will be using a Bonavita gooseneck kettle to brew with a Kalita wave dripper, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
-Loren

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Very few people have both, so most input will have bias or just ignorance of what the other offers. The only member that has both that I know of is Jbivau.

You're going to have to do some of the foot work yourself and search thru what's been written. A thread like this can serve to do nothing but stir up a hornets nest, so tread carefully anyone who posts here.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Well, I *had* both, but no longer. The beech hausgrind (aka Bonnie) was a traveling review unit, and she has since (as of 2/20/14) moved on to the next in line. The LIDO 2 beta unit is here to stay.

My understanding from reading posts here and elsewhere is that in the past 3 months the hausgrind has received some upgrades (aluminum option, new shaft option with finer-pitched threads, finish improvements, beefed up "midsection"). Result: my comparative observations are now probably outdated.

I've often been asked which I prefer/preferred, and I've never really taken the bait--not because I'm wishy-washy or afraid of angering someone, but rather because I was impressed with both. Each has pros and cons. The difference between the two grinders in the cup (see here for my take) was slim enough that, as I said, "I'd recommend deciding based primarily on factors like ergonomics, build preference, and aesthetics." All of the info. you need is on HB or coffeeforums.co.uk.

Loren, when will you be back and ready to order? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but I don't think either grinder will be shipping again until June at the earliest. Anyway, welcome in advance to the high-end manual grinder club! 8)
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

oktyone

#4: Post by oktyone »

The general consensus is that both grind pretty damn good for a hand grinder, and probably even better than most electric grinders at the same price range, if there are differences in grind quality, i'm pretty sure, based on what i've read, they'll be relatively minor.

Taking this into account, i would base my purchase decision on other factors such as durability, portability, availability, looks/design, ease of grinding, etc... Some of these are subjective factors, so only you can decide on which is more suited to your needs, and a quick browse through some reviews for each grinder should provide enough information to decide on more the more objective factors.

I have a hausgrind, and all i can say is i'm pretty damn happy with mine.. but did have to wait quite a while to get it, as some delays got in the way, luckily i wasn't in a big hurry to get it as i had other grinder options in the meantime.

Knock has plans for a truly portable handgrinder in the future as mentioned on his website (feldgrind), don't think i've heard OE plans on the subject, but would be great if they'd also consider it, as neither grinder can be considered great for portability, so if this is a top priority, i would hold off the purchase decision until further notice. Apparently Comandante is addressing some of the flaws with their first design and plan on releasing a new version soon, if they get the grind consistency right, it would surely beat the other two in portability.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

I do have the original "mate" to your Bonnie, my Clyde, and he also sent me the latest update, fully aluminum, with the improvements you mentioned. What it comes down to is slight preferences to the individual. I posted here for all to see that my impression of the LIDO 2 vs the LIDO 2 (beta) has changed. Using it at the SCAA booth was very impressive. Here's a basic rundown of some subjective pros and cons of each, for what it's worth...

LIDO 2

Pros:
  • better grind consistency
    easier to load beans
Cons:
  • Very heavy for a portable grinder
    Concern about a breakable glass catch cup
    Needs the Pharos knob
Hausgrind

Pros:
  • Easier to use throughout entire grind range
    Much easier to set your grind selection
    Lighter weight
    Better knob
Cons:
  • Less consistent grind consistency
    Wood catch cup (now an option instead of stock) could be tricky to unmount and not as hygienic as metal
    Slightly more expensive
    No where close to the LIDO 2 in terms of ease of loading beans
    In a blind competition, the LIDO 2 beta beat the Hausgrind v1 in 3 out of 4 cuppings slightly.
Beyond that, it breaks down to preferences.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

I used the Lido 2 on a long trip we just took and the only thing that bothered me was the knob. I concur with Tom about the need for the Pharos knob.

I also see the glass catch can as a potential thing to go wrong. Although it would add weight an owner could dip the glass jar into some plastic/rubber coating liquid to make it less susceptible to breakage from hard knocks on hard things. It would leave a rubber coating thus protecting the glass.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train