Spong Coffee Mills: A Grinder for the 23rd Century - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Howdy Mr

#21: Post by Howdy Mr »

Glad you got it Quack. It'll be nice to see how it turns out for you.

I took mine apart yesterday and have it soaking. The lock nut for the adjustment bolt in back had a flaw or something and messed up the threads when I tried to move it. I'll need to take a tap and die to it now.

That #3 looks like it's in good shape. I saw a #2 is on eBay now with the catch cup. Wish I could just get the cup.

DJR (original poster)

#22: Post by DJR (original poster) »

I am learning metal spinning and might make a few catch cups. Let me know if you're interested. I already made one that has a flange in the bottom to attach my La Peppina basket to.

It isn't a good picture, but you get the idea... It's sort of a catch/cup funnel made of zinc. I will also make some reproduction catch cups in zinc or pewter and blacken them. I need to make a new mandrel with steeper sides.

The grinder is the Mimoso No 3, not a Spong.

dan

Howdy Mr

#23: Post by Howdy Mr »

I would be interested Dan. From the picture, that must be a #3. It looks like it has a lot more room under the housing than the #2.

I put mine together today. It seemed very even without having to tighten much. The grinds were consistent. It's most certainly easier than my lap grinder.

Right now I'm placing a condiments bowl underneath that fits nicely. I've just cut a plastic jar off at the bottom that might work better as both a lid and catch cup. I'm wondering if a cup shaped more like the top of the hopper, flattened a little in back, would work better. The beans I used were excessively dry as well, which may have lent to some grinds slipping behind the bowl as I was grinding.

Let me know if you're able to get some made Dan, and how much they'll cost. If I have the clams, I'd certainly want to get one.

I just noticed that your grinder doesn't have the screw holding on the crank arm. Is it pressed on?

Thanks,

Howdy Mr

#24: Post by Howdy Mr »

I've mounted my Spong in our kitchen now. The wife even likes the way it looks.

It takes a long time to get the grinds done, but they're very consistent. I'm also noticing that static seems to be pulling the grinds toward the back, making a bit of a mess as they slip past my catch cup. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to remedy that, other than placing something underneath to catch stray grinds.

DJR (original poster)

#25: Post by DJR (original poster) »

You might look around for a silicone rubber bowl (Amazon has them) that will fit the grinder. It will have higher sides and if it is a bit too big, it will flex into place and stay there and not rattle.

How many cranks are you doing for 11 or 14 grams?

dan

Howdy Mr

#26: Post by Howdy Mr »

Though I've been encouraged to do so, I still can't measure my beans by weight. So, this morning I ground 1/4 cup. At around 175 cranks the last bean was taken in. So I suppose I'm looking at about 200 cranks to clear it of 1/4 cup of beans.

Howdy Mr

#27: Post by Howdy Mr »

It took about 125 cranks for 14.5 grams. Is that too fine?

Robm

#28: Post by Robm »

I have just picked up a "new" unused Spong #2 at the markets. $10usd - was still in the original box unfortunately the corrugated cardboard box was in such poor condition had to be discarded. Came complete with the original catch cup and instruction sheet. This one has a red plastic handle.

How does one date when it was manufactured?

If anyone is interested I can scan and post the instruction sheet and will measure and photograph the catch cup.

Just have to learn how to use the thing now :)

r

jonny

#29: Post by jonny »

Robm wrote:If anyone is interested I can scan and post the instruction sheet and will measure and photograph the catch cup
amazing deal! That would be cool to see the instruction sheet.
I just recieved a no. 3 "mimoso" clone (made in brazil, same burr style with coarse section and fine section, and S handle) but says "Alpha" on the front and "Alfredo Villanova Indaiatuba SP" on the back. I did not realize how BIG these are! I'm excited to start using it though; I'm still getting it dialed.

sorrentinacoffee

#30: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

Great Thread!

I have been using and collecting these Spongs for a few years now. I love them. I have the 1, 2 and 3. I Just need the 4 to complete my collection.

I also had a Beatrice version. I found it did not work as well as the spongs and needed a lot more turns. Not sure about Doug's comment about not being suitable for espresso? I have used mine to grind very fine for the Lusso with no issues. There does seem to be a tiny amount of variation in the different models...

As to fakes: no I don't think there are any. Unitl recently I don't think there was any demand either. Spong seems to have made millions of these grinders- they pop up here in Australia fairly often, in the UK and also the USA. By looking at them they seem to date from the 1930's right up until perhaps the 80's? Spong made a range of bean slicers, meat grinders and I even have a spong bottle opener. They also made a smaller cast iron coffee grinder- it is a real oddity- strange design- a bit slow in the grinding. I will dig mine up and post an image here.