"Smoothing" out Mazzer doser pull

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
desmodici

#1: Post by desmodici »

I have a Mazzer Mini and Super Jolly, both with dosers, both bought new (mini is 10 years old, SJ is 2)

The pull on the minis doser lever is smooth and light, very little resistance when pulling forward. The grinder stays in place on the counter when dosing.
The pull on the super jollys doser lever feels heavy and has a lot of resistance (beyond the spring resistance, it feels like the doser vanes are scraping the bottom of the dosing chamber). The heavy pull causes the grinder to move on the counter when dosing.

Any thoughts on how to smooth this out? Based on some search results I disassembled it and lubricated the star and spring (and replaced the spring with a new one), but it still feels the same.

desmodici (original poster)

#2: Post by desmodici (original poster) »

just checking in to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

bostonbuzz

#3: Post by bostonbuzz »

There must be something that is binding a little bit. It might even be in the grind chamber. Is the doser assembled correctly. Is the metal plate that doesn't move and which keeps grinds from dropping out of the doser without being dosed in the right place? It has a tiny tab that fits into the chamber and if it isn't in the right place it will throw the moving parts to the side and partially bind things.

Try moving just the doser by reaching in from the top on the two machines. This might be a way to isolate where the problem is - in the chamber or in the mechanism at the bottom.
LMWDP #353

dsc

#4: Post by dsc »

Have you tried replacing the spring in the SJ with the one from a Mini?

T.

#5: Post by desmodici (original poster) »

bostonbuzz wrote:There must be something that is binding a little bit. It might even be in the grind chamber. Is the doser assembled correctly. Is the metal plate that doesn't move and which keeps grinds from dropping out of the doser without being dosed in the right place? It has a tiny tab that fits into the chamber and if it isn't in the right place it will throw the moving parts to the side and partially bind things.

Try moving just the doser by reaching in from the top on the two machines. This might be a way to isolate where the problem is - in the chamber or in the mechanism at the bottom.
Thanks, yes, It does feel like something is binding in the chamber vs. the mechanism in the bottom. Its not the plate, thats in place and is loose (vibrates when the grinder is on).

I feel its the doser vanes scraping on the bottom of the doser chamber and they may be tilted (they sweep clean on the right side, but two left chambers always have a good layer of coffee, whereas in the mini its equal residual coffee in all of the chambers).
I feel either the vanes are tilted or the floor of the chamber is not flat/level.

Any thoughts how that can be adjusted?

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

Well there are two parts. The bottom spider that does not adjust up/down, and the doser vanes that move up and down by adjusting the knurled nut in the doser. This is how you would traditionally adjust the "dose" of the doser which was designed to be full of grinds. I'd unscrew the knurled nut by hand (typically there is a flat head screw there you have to take out), and take it out, along with the plate. This will reveal the lower spider and any rubbing should be obvious. Maybe something is misaligned. It's been a couple years since I've taken a mazzer doser apart but I think if the lower spider is rubbing it will have to be dealt with from the mechanism below to disassemble it any more. Not sure what you do there besides take it apart more until you get an idea.
LMWDP #353

#7: Post by desmodici (original poster) »

thanks for the input. I plan to take it apart this weekend and will report back any findings.

Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

Taking it apart and cleaning should do the trick, be careful and have the explosion drawing at hand when you disassemble so nothing goes wrong.

My previous SJ doser action was a bit rough when I got it but it was buttery smooth once cleaned and moderately greased.
LMWDP #483