Simonelli MCF burrs seized

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeesnob1

#1: Post by coffeesnob1 »

Does anyone have any experience with the MCF grinder? Mine gave up its ghost today. I replaced a broken lower burr mount and reassembled everything and turned in on, and now the top and bottom burrs are seized up. I'm at a loss. Tried loosening up the grind but no luck. Was on the phone with tech support for a good 20 minutes to no avail. Damn decent grinder for the year or so I had it - hate to dig a grave for it so soon.

coffeesnob1 (original poster)

#2: Post by coffeesnob1 (original poster) »

...still no luck. Turns out its the vanes that are mashing into the top plate. Discussed again with tech support and were as puzzled as I am. Oh we'll, been considering an upgrade anyways - guess now is a good time.

Advertisement
2StrokeBloke

#3: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Don't want to doubt your ability but it sounds like a part got turned over and now things don't fit right.
I'd disassemble the works again and look for a part that might be meant to be installed 'the other way'.

Perhaps the tech support individual can fax you a diagram showing correct parts layup? Or someone on HB?

Hope you get it working right.

#4: Post by coffeesnob1 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply... Off to the west coast to see if they can figure it out. 3 hours of taking it apart and putting it back together is all that my patience will allow. On the plus side, new Pharos on the way:)

#5: Post by coffeesnob1 (original poster) »

So it turns out the lower burr-mount they sent me was too thick, so now its fixed but they wont return it back to me until i pay for the return shipping. Wait a minute... its THEIR fault that i had to return the grinder to them to begin with. So I have to pay to ship it and to get it back, and its still under factory warranty. Anyone ever dealt directly with NS? The guys in tech support are awesome but for a company that is in the spotlight as the major equipment sponsor of USBC events to not display better customer support is quite disappointing.