Should I wash new burrs?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Fidel

#1: Post by Fidel »

I recently got some new burrs to put into a super Jolly. I haven't heard of anyone washing and rinsing burrs before putting them into their grinder (perhaps to prevent rusting). But from the factory these burrs are covered in oil. Most food containers/processors/kitchen appliances suggest you wash their product before first use, presumably to remove any chemicals the item is exposed to in the factory or in storage. Anyways, does this apply to new burrs as well?

insatiableOne

#2: Post by insatiableOne »

nope

Run a BUNCH of stale coffee through them to break them in.
Or.... some people use rice.

lain2097

#3: Post by lain2097 »

Exactly, it's to remove any residual chemicals or worse metal swarf from machining. Never use liquids on coffee grinders.

DaveC

#4: Post by DaveC »

Fidel wrote:But from the factory these burrs are covered in oil. Most food containers/processors/kitchen appliances suggest you wash their product before first use, presumably to remove any chemicals the item is exposed to in the factory or in storage. Anyways, does this apply to new burrs as well?
Were you thinking of popping them in the Dishwasher?

weebit_nutty

#5: Post by weebit_nutty »

Scrub them down with 100% isopropyl alcohol, rinse with more, then dry with a paper towel.

I'd avoid detergent and water if possible, but even then, as long as they are dried thoroughly immediately afterwards, I see no harm in it either (just put some heat to it).

The tips for using stale beans or grindz are fine too for burrs already installed in a grinder, but if they're out do it the right way.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by contraflow88 »

I would like the previous posters mentioned above stay away from soap and water. I understand like mentioned the precaution of cleaning and not ingesting these oils. As they are used to preserve the burrs from rust. Definitely like mentioned from the other posters used stale coffee and or rice. The stale coffee will leave oils and create a layer of protection that is adequate. As for the rice it will suck up all the moisture and give a little breaking in of the burrs. We don't need to get into the pro's and con's of rice, simply run a little and move on.

wsfarrell

#7: Post by wsfarrell »

I would respectfully disagree with most of the advice above. Dish soap is really good at cutting grease and oil. If you dry the burrs afterward with a hair dryer, you won't have a problem.

I asked Phil Boguszewski (knifemaker) once how to clean a folder of his that I couldn't take apart (he used epoxy on the pivot pin). He said to use soap and water and then hit it with a hair dryer.

If you think about it, people have been using carbon knives and washing them in water for centuries. It's only if you don't dry them that trouble starts.

Grant

#8: Post by Grant »

+1 on not worrying about the soap/water.

I completely disassemble my grinder every 6 months or so and completely scrub the burrs down in soapy water and inspect.

I dry them very well and let them air dry a bit before re-installing, and then run some old beans through to re-oil them up.

They are still in beautiful shape (though it is probably time for a replacement set).
Grant

Fidel (original poster)

#9: Post by Fidel (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice guys I ended up cleaning them with naptha lighter fluid (seriously has like a million uses) and then running 3 lbs of old beans through it.