SCAA 2014: Orphan Espresso LIDO 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

This is the most straight forward and easy way to put it out there that the Lido 2 production model, compared to the Beta Lido 2 that I tested, is night and day apart ( in a good way, and I'm reversing my initial impression of it as a portable grinder, other than it's known weight).

I know it passed thru many hands, all of those hands were unfamiliar with the grinder, because it's so new. I know it left Gary's good hands in safe and good condition and it looked and appeared to be in perfect standard operating order when we received it, but I'm going to go on record as stating that the judgements I made on the Beta Lido 2, (which some weren't pleased with), aren't at all apparent on the production models that I saw and tested today.

I stood at their booth, and freehandedly ground down to espresso range powder that would likely choke a weaker espresso machine, and I didn't even need to brace the grinder on my hip or on a table or anything. It was freehand. I believe I heard them say previously that they stocked up on a ton of Redbird, but even so, I filled the hopper with 4 large scoops, enough to make 2.5-3 espresso shots, and still ground thru them pleasantly, without a single stop-start, or strain.

There was something drastically different about the Beta that came our way, because it's not like I've since spent time getting to know how to use the Lido 2 better ( I haven't held once since the review with Henry), it's just that the production models are a much better product that what I perceived at the time I was testing it months ago, which might have been a one off from the batch. There might have been some sort of temporary, unexplainable glitch on that beta unit, because each sample I picked up at their booth (I think there was at least 5) all worked smoothly and incredibly easily. We poured out each successively finer grind next to each other on white ceramic tiles, and could clearly see the amount of precision and consistency of grind it had. I left incredibly impressed.

Doug and Barb had many fans. Some big ones. This is George Howell, who came and found them and stood at their booth for quite a while. I have other shots, but unfortunately, in quick reaction with the camera, the focus was more on the OE booth and George was a little fuzzy.

Arrow pointing to George

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#2: Post by orphanespresso »

Good of you to come by and give the 2 a go...yeah lots of illuminati coming by to check out the buzz. I think I about have Costas Pilatsikas sold on the idea of barista Lido tricks at the bar..pretty great guy. Talked to George about the Pharos mostly...improve bean in and grounds out and he sees it as the perfect grinder. I rarely look at name tags and just keep on grinding.

Sorry I did not have a lot of time to talk...our booth seems a pretty active little corner of the show.

Advertisement
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

The best shot on George at the booth

Happy in front of the Pharos

A man who enjoys his own labors.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC (original poster) »

orphanespresso wrote:Good of you to come by and give the 2 a go...yeah lots of illuminati coming by to check out the buzz. I think I about have Costas Pilatsikas sold on the idea of barista Lido tricks at the bar..pretty great guy.

I think you mean Pliatsikas, but it is a tricky one.
orphanespresso wrote: Sorry I did not have a lot of time to talk...our booth seems a pretty active little corner of the show.
I'd made 2 full entire revolutions covering both wings of the massive Expo floor. You had an inordinately high level of foot traffic to your booth, especially given its tuck away location. I can't think of any other vendor your size who had even 1/4 of your traffic.

Well done.

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

orphanespresso wrote:Good of you to come by and give the 2 a go...yeah lots of illuminati coming by to check out the buzz...

Sorry I did not have a lot of time to talk...our booth seems a pretty active little corner of the show.
Barb and Doug,

It is great to see the traction you are getting on the LIDO2. You two have given selflessly to this forum -- and I trust it will come back to you double-fold.

Dave
-----
LMWDP #339

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

Mark Prince tweeted this link to a short audio-only interview with Doug recorded at SCAA (among others): http://seattlecoffeescene.com/scaa-2014 ... spotlight/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias