ROK Coffee Grinder (Indiegogo) - Page 14

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#131: Post by jwCrema »

JohnB. wrote:Since they can't supply one of the advertised perks I would think that offering buyers their money back would have been a better idea.

I did finally receive an "order processing" email from WLL yesterday so hopefully my grinder will ship today.
I got my shipping order notice a few days ago, and the we give up on ceramic burrs notice. I sent a reply that I would like a refund instead for the burrs.

I've moved on since I ordered this grinder and plan on selling it, box unopened, after it arrives. I was going to use the ROK to grind for cold brew, but the place selling the beans I like will do the grind for me. Since we use a pound of beans at a time, doing small batch grinding doesn't make sense. And, the Super Jolly is really producing a nice grind, so the ROK will be looking for a new home. Cheap.

pav2k

#132: Post by pav2k »

Got my grinder yesterday! Was pretty happy at the beginning, liked the way it's built but after a while I've got very disappointed with the grind settings! I couldn't get the grind fine enough to produce a decent cup of espresso on my Rancilio Silvia! While two burrs are closed and touching each other which I can feel by the resistance on the handle and the noise it makes I couldn't stretch the brew cycle to more than 15 seconds! :cry:

ryuemura

#133: Post by ryuemura »

I just got mine today, I'll dial it in tomorrow and see how it performs. I'll just be using this for pour over and cold brew. I'm excited to finally have a proper grinder for these brews, my K30 Vario doesn't grind coarse enough...

ryuemura

#134: Post by ryuemura »

jwCrema wrote:I got my shipping order notice a few days ago, and the we give up on ceramic burrs notice. I sent a reply that I would like a refund instead for the burrs.

I've moved on since I ordered this grinder and plan on selling it, box unopened, after it arrives. I was going to use the ROK to grind for cold brew, but the place selling the beans I like will do the grind for me. Since we use a pound of beans at a time, doing small batch grinding doesn't make sense. And, the Super Jolly is really producing a nice grind, so the ROK will be looking for a new home. Cheap.
Yeah, I almost moved on too! I contributed a long time ago, and there were so many delays! Now that I finally got it, I feel a sense of relief. Hopefully it performs as stated

Aberdeen Angus

#135: Post by Aberdeen Angus »

pav2k wrote:Got my grinder yesterday! Was pretty happy at the beginning, liked the way it's built but after a while I've got very disappointed with the grind settings! I couldn't get the grind fine enough to produce a decent cup of espresso on my Rancilio Silvia! While two burrs are closed and touching each other which I can feel by the resistance on the handle and the noise it makes I couldn't stretch the brew cycle to more than 15 seconds! :cry:
Got the same problem with my Gaggia. Managed to get decent extraction with 20g in the double basket, but it's still more then I thought.

victorsmiller

#136: Post by victorsmiller »

I just got mine yesterday, and used it this morning. Does anyone know of a good setting for the V60. I started at 10. The coffee was good but the grind was probably too fine. I then bumped up to 12, and it's still a little too fine (the taste could have been a little brighter, and instead of the 3 minutes for the pourover, it was taking something like 3 1/2 minutes). The biggest problem that I see is the static buildup. I didn't see the hint to sprinkle water on the beans. Where was that?

Neiluj

#137: Post by Neiluj »

Hello,

I have this grinder and use it for brews only. The quality of the grind is better than my Virtuoso (more consistent) and my brews are better.

deegee

#138: Post by deegee »

Filter and pour-over drinkers will probably be happy with their ROK grinders, but those of us who want to grind for espresso seem to need a bit of luck.
A few lucky folk seem to have received a machine that will grind fine enough, but most are finding that our units just will not grind fine enough, no matter how or what we try. I think there must be some small but significant variation in how well the inner and outer burrs match up. A few sets are well matched, but most are not.
I have tried re-aligning the burrs, removing the spring, and the washers, but I'm still getting gushers from my semi-auto and my levers.
I tightened the adjustment wheel hard and turned the handle until my arm ached, in an attempt to accelerate the so called "bedding in" that ROK say is needed. All that did was ruin the burrs. They now grind finer but clog up and will not feed the grounds into the cup. Hopefully ROK will stand by their offer to replace my ceramic burrs and I will at least have something I can sell to someone who wants to grind coarse for a plunger etc..

Very disappointing after backing what should have been a great grinder, and waiting a year to get one, only to have it let down by crappy burrs.

wsfarrell

#139: Post by wsfarrell »

I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and noticed what appeared to be a fairly large asymmetric burr gap when turning the handle. I took it apart and found the cause: the main shaft is quite bent near the burr end. Here are a couple of pics of the shaft on a granite surface plate to show what I mean:

Whole Latte Love is replacing the grinder. I'm wondering if something similar could be affecting others who notice uneven grinding?

pav2k

#140: Post by pav2k »

wsfarrell wrote:I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and noticed what appeared to be a fairly large asymmetric burr gap when turning the handle. I took it apart and found the cause: the main shaft is quite bent near the burr end. Here are a couple of pics of the shaft on a granite surface plate to show what I mean:

<image>

Whole Latte Love is replacing the grinder. I'm wondering if something similar could be affecting others who notice uneven grinding?
How did you notice that? Could the grinder still operate with the bent shaft? I wounder if I should disassemble mine for inspection...