ROK Coffee Grinder (Indiegogo) - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bobbee

#101: Post by bobbee »

It would make more some sense if they leave the ceramic burrs and place some good quility burrs instead of those cheap solis burrs! I certainly hope they are not diggin there own grave with using these burrs.
I have a preciso overhere and when I recieve the Rok I will try to fit the preciso burrs if neccasary!

Rappy

#102: Post by Rappy »

Yeah I'm not too fussed about the ceramic burrs either. particularly as they are known to crush beans rather than cut them. If they were any good they would have chosen them over the steel ones. They look identical to some of the Hario hand grinder burrs - probably are.

IMAWriter

#103: Post by IMAWriter »

orphanespresso wrote:More reasonable would be to call the mm size to be that of the inner burr on a conic, but Italmil clearly calls this, in the catalog and spec sheets a 48mm, just as they call the burr in the haus/field grind a 38mm (no 5mm collar). The 71mm burr is 71mm OD of the outer burr, etc.
Perhaps as important as size is blade geometry, etc as these burrs are matched to motor size and machine design...after all, they are designed for electric grinders.
Once in a while I catch a fish. :lol:
However, the hook, line and sinker was previously "Provided"( explained to me) by Doug, who is far more knowledgeable about burr sets (well, just about everything) than I.
I just had never heard of a 48mm burr, being more familiar with the "38mm" verbiage.

I'm sure the members appreciate your staying on top of things.

cuppajoe

#104: Post by cuppajoe »

And it was a whopper, also glad to see some reason enter into this long and sordid saga. As the man said "it aint over 'till it's over".

And as there are people actually basing their opinion of one type of burr over another by what is being bandied about as being possibly used in a product that doesn't even exist yet, and their comments may be a bit on the broad side, think it's time to just wait 'till the dust settles and see what actually sees the light of day(if it ever does). No matter what, them folks at ROK will be in high cotton in any case.

Get the jet Shecky, I'm outta here...
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

OldNuc

#105: Post by OldNuc »

My thought is that if ROK uses a 48mm burr with an aggressive cut the plastic bevel gears are going to split early in life.

angman

#106: Post by angman »

bobbee wrote:It would make more some sense if they leave the ceramic burrs and place some good quility burrs instead of those cheap solis burrs! I certainly hope they are not diggin there own grave with using these burrs.
I have a preciso overhere and when I recieve the Rok I will try to fit the preciso burrs if neccasary!
What would make more sense is perhaps if you could explain to me why you would take the preciso burrs out of a decent electric grinder to possibly modify and fit it in a manual grinder?

bobbee

#107: Post by bobbee replying to angman »

If it won't fit, it won't fit. It's just something to try without a modification ofcourse. Did you really think I would modify the preciso burrs?
I want a hand grinder for vacation or trips.

dmw010

#108: Post by dmw010 »

I contacted Patrick Hunt at ROK to ask him to respond to the questions being raised about the steel burrs on this forum. He emailed back the following:
Our steel burrs are manufactured to our specifications and are listed as 48mm and suitable for espresso. The burrs are made from SS420* - blurb below.

* SS 420 is a heat treatable martensitic chromium stainless steel. Melt practice is
controlled to develop a surface nearly free from defects. It provides the best combination
of wear resistance and corrosion resistance, and is used in demanding medical
accessories.

OldNuc

#109: Post by OldNuc »

Periodically you hear about an "espresso roast" for coffee beans and now we hear about burrs that are suitable for espresso. This immediately raises the question as to what exactly are the parameters that constitute burrs suitable for espresso?

weebit_nutty

#110: Post by weebit_nutty »

Suitable for espresso. What is their definition of suitable?

Have you tasted a shot of espresso made by their ROK espresso machine? Hardly suitable but they sold quite a few of them under the All Clad brand (Presso)... Most ended up on counters as pretentious conversational pieces, in a yard sale, or at TJMaxx for 5.99 :lol:

Why anyone would want to buy a grinder from the same inventor is beyond me.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?