Restoring Futurmat Milady and Amfin grinder, looking for parts and advice

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Krisdarnok

#1: Post by Krisdarnok »

Hi to all you espresso-enthusiasts...

My name is Kris and I'm from Utrecht in The Netherlands.
After a few visits to Italy and Rome in particular I got hooked up with the espresso fever.

After a long quest for the right machine for me I was disappointed to find out that none of the current models under 600€ suit my demands
I've seen a few successful restorations of older (semi)professional machines and decided to accept the challenge.

After strolling ebay and marktplaats.nl I found an ad of an old Futurmat Milady machine (build 20-feb-1996 I think) with two portafilters and an Anfim grinder.

I'll be busy this winter!

If anyone has information on any of these two machines I'd be happy to hear from you!
I'm especially interested in:
- technical specs
- designs
- availability of parts in Europe an The Netherlands in particularly
- similar projects
- converting this machine from a "plumbed in" to a reservoir - type

Of course I'll show you the pics from the ad!

The Machine

The grinder:

Owjeah..... and the best part: This deal set me back €40,00

espressme

#2: Post by espressme »

Looks like a good deal! :D
Futurmat is a Spanish Company and still in business
http://www.coffee-roasters.com/espresso ... pulser.pdf
http://www.qualityespresso.net/molinosd ... turmat.htm
Google in your native language and German for more hits!
Congratulations!
Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

JB130

#3: Post by JB130 »

Very nice! Looks like a fun project.

I don't know much about the futurmat but the grinder looks identical to one I bought a couple of weeks ago. It is the Anfim Best: a stepped grinder with flat burrs, 54mm, 1/3 HP motor at 250W or 300W, with relatively slow 1200 rpm. There was a recent discussion on this grinder here. There are schematics and lots of pictures.

The best price on burrs is $31 (22 euros) from coffeestuff.

John

JB130

#4: Post by JB130 »

Also, your futurmat looks identical to the Bunn ES-1A that is getting a lot of talk on coffegeek. For example, see
this thread for more info.

Krisdarnok (original poster)

#5: Post by Krisdarnok (original poster) »

JB130 wrote:Very nice! Looks like a fun project.

I don't know much about the futurmat but the grinder looks identical to one I bought a couple of weeks ago. It is the Anfim Best: a stepped grinder with flat burrs, 54mm, 1/3 HP motor at 250W or 300W, with relatively slow 1200 rpm. There was a recent discussion on this grinder here. There are schematics and lots of pictures.

The best price on burrs is $31 (22 euros) from coffeestuff.

John
Thanks John!

I already found the post on the grinder but the reference to the burrs is great! My grinder looks identical to your 1986 Olympia Moccaclub. I've even got the same old school power switch. I haven't found time to inspect the burrs yet but I'll need a new hopper!

The link too the Bunn ES-1A-rebuild on CoffeeGeek is great! Thanks!

Kris

JB130

#6: Post by JB130 »

FYI, I heard that there may be some slight differences between the Bunn ES-1A and your Milady.

Also FYI, some more resources:

* milady

* Bunn es-1a

* BUG

Keep us posted!

John

Krisdarnok (original poster)

#7: Post by Krisdarnok (original poster) »

JB130 wrote:FYI, I heard that there may be some slight differences between the Bunn ES-1A and your Milady.
Thanks again John, you seem to know your way around the internet!

I noticed some differences between the two brands, apart from the 220-120 volts.
1. The Bunn has a programming button to adjust the water volume presets

There must be a way to adjust the volume on my machine, I suspect thru adjustment of pod-meters (dutch?) on the circuit board, but I haven't checked this...

2. Plastic steam wand on the Bunn, metal on mine

3. Different pressure gauge: vertical on the Bunn horizontal on my Futurmat

dmankin

#8: Post by dmankin »

Krisdarnok,

I own the Bunn ES-1A and can tell you that no 2 Bunns seem to be exactly alike - if they weren't made in the same week. Over on BUG , you'll see pictures of both my machine & Robert's machine - he has the same steam wand as you, but his programming switch is on the inside of the machine - mine is where your's is located! I have the same pressure gauge as you.

Robert has posted a pdf file of the User's Manual, & it describes the programming process - it's very simple.

Good luck with the rstoration, and keep us posted on your progress here & @ BUG. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BUG-is-Bunn/

Dave