Replacing Mazzer Super Jolly timer switch with a toggle switch?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fitzy

#1: Post by fitzy »

Hi There,Just need to know if this is an easy fix.
I want to change the timer switch to a on/off toggle switch just so the timer doesnt keep going as it is driving me nuts especially when i only want to grind a single shot .
I have attached an image of the terminals of a toggle switch that I have got and it is an on- off- on but i would just use it as an on off only. I have had a look at the timer switch on my machine and i am not 100% of which wires go on which terminal.Any help would be appreciated

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Why not just rotate the timer knob back to "off" when the grind is completed?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
fitzy (original poster)

#3: Post by fitzy (original poster) »

Good point.......I just felt that there is a lot of resistence and I didnt want to force it and damage the switch but if this is what you have to do then I will try that.Thanks

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

That is how I have done it, and have not yet broken one.
Scott
LMWDP #248

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

From the circuit diagram, it looks like one pole on the rotary switch handles just the light, while the other handles both the capacitor and motor in parallel. If you cannot read it, and do not know about poles and throws on switches, it might be the better part of valor to avoid doing any wiring on motor controls.

As Scott says, the timer switch used on the Mazers is like a tank; your proposed replacement, which does not show a motor start rating, might be less solid (btw, if it doesn't have a motor start rating in horsepower on the name plate or info sheet, it is not designed to be used with motors)
Jim Schulman

fitzy (original poster)

#6: Post by fitzy (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Thanks for the info .I have had another go at using the timer switch as an on off switch and it seems to have loosened off which gives me more confidence in using it manually .So thanks again for your replies.