Replacing Mazzer Robur bearings

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
catscradle

#1: Post by catscradle »

Hi all, I've stumbled upon a used Robur & determined that I need to replace the bearings. I've already sourced the 6204 bearings & removed the first one (easily with a $40 three-finger puller from the auto parts store). Sadly, I can't figure out how to remove the bearing that's on the fan side of the motor shaft; the puller can't get under the bearing without breaking the plastic fan. Any tips? I've tried searching in the forums and haven't been able to find anything yet. Thanks, all. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

JK

#2: Post by JK »

-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

catscradle (original poster)

#3: Post by catscradle (original poster) »

Unfortunately, I don't think that tool would work because the bearing is too close to the fan; I've attached a couple pictures to give y'all a better idea of the problem:

LM suggested grabbing the bearing with a vice & hitting the shaft with a rubber mallet. I've also considered trying to cut the bearing off the shaft, although I realize it would be difficult to avoid damaging the shaft and/or fan. If I make any progress, I'll be sure to update this thread!

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

You can search tool supply (Grainger) for bearing splitter ore bearing separator. Or you could do this.

nuketopia

#5: Post by nuketopia »

Order a new fan and bearing.

Break away the old fan, use the bearing puller. Put on new fan and press on new bearing.

JK

#6: Post by JK »

My guess the fan is not part of the shaft..
You need two bars to pass under the fan hub, right next to the shaft, You can use a puller to grab both bars with a puller..
You can also take it to a auto parts machine shop and ask if they can press it off in a hydraulic bench press..

dsc

#7: Post by dsc »

Have you tried pushing the fan further towards the motor to get better access to the bearing? I'm guessing it's pressed on the shaft, although if it's glued on and plastic it's probably going to break before giving in.

How hard was it to remove the other bearing? I'm just thinking in terms of how hard are they pressed on the shaft / what the interference fit is. If you are desperate you could try and pull the fan with the bearing, but again if the fan is plastic it will mostly likely break in effect.

T.

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

It's mind bogglingly ugly, but you could try threading a couple of lag bolts into the bearing. If you can get the exact right thread size and the bearing is not stuck to bad it might just work.

Ira

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

If you want to save the fan then you will have to use a small 3 jaw puller, it is all that will fit. Gerently warming up the bearing inner race will help as well. Or, take it to a good small motor shop.

JK

#10: Post by JK »

Pulling on the outer race or with lag screws is not how you remove bearings..
You should push or pull on the inner race..
The only way to do that is to push off the fan with the bearing..

Electrical motor repair shop or auto repair shop would be your best option..

If you can stack some bricks or boards with hard wood or metal bars under the fan you maybe able to drive the shaft down through the bearing..
Make sure you use a soft metal rod that is just smaller than the bearing.. A large bolt may work for you..

You will also need a smooth file because you may bulge out the end of the shaft..

Use smooth and steady blows to the shaft..
Don't beat it like a mad man, work at it like a doctor..

Also use some penetrating oil (Not WD-40) on the shaft and bearing..

If you have someone to hold the fan you can maybe use a block of wood and a hammer to give it a few knocks to see if it moves..
If yes near the end you will need a bolt or rod (Ratchet Extension) to knock it through the bearing..
DON"T bugger the edges of the shaft! If will not fit through the bearing..

If you can get a metric bolt to thread into the end of the shaft that would save you buggering the end of the shaft..
Use a short bolt flush to shaft at first then one longer than bearing..