Removing finger guard from Compak K10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

Modifying the chute is still a ways in the future, but who can tell me if I can remove the black collar to get to the second set of finger guard screws without taking off the top chrome collar. I've got her so perfectly dialed in that I just hate to mess with it if I can avoid it....

I've got the top two screws off but can't get enough angle to get to the back ones. I'd like to be able to "pop" the black collar off????? Please????

Susan

Aaron

#2: Post by Aaron »

Yes you can get to the back two screws by simply removing the large black collar with the "coarse fine" grinding arrows on it. There is a hole on both ends where this collar inserts itself. You just need to carefully pry out both ends from the body and you will be able to take apart the rest of the grinder throat.
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

Advertisement
SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thank you Aaron.

WSH

#4: Post by WSH »

Hey Susan,

Another option, later on maybe. If you don't look directly at it, it's really not so bad! :D

Don't know why it loaded sideways?

SJM (original poster)

#5: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Okay, am I blind or does that black collar (with fine-coarse on it) part not show up on this diagram?
http://www.compakgrinders.com/docs/osp/ ... _Fresh.pdf

I was hoping to get a better visual on how it's connected before I break it trying to pry it off.

Susan the wimpy

WSH

#6: Post by WSH »

That looks like it's for the k10 "Fresh" not the Pro-Barista.

SJM (original poster)

#7: Post by SJM (original poster) replying to WSH »

Good catch.
Thank you.

Advertisement
WSH

#8: Post by WSH »

Here you go Susan.

http://www.compak.es/docs/osp/K10%20WBC.pdf

Part # K03010 or K03015

SJM (original poster)

#9: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Excellent.
Thank you !!

And now I can see exactly how that collar is supposed to come off.
Susan

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

It's much harder to get back on. The two little plastic inserts need to be collapsed to fit back into their respective holes. The first one is easy since you can jiggle back and forth; the second, not so much. I ended up tying some thin thread around the inserts to close them tight enough to go into the holes more easily, then pulled the thread out once they were seated halfway (harder to describe, about equally difficult to do).

Be patient. Don't break the silly little tabs.
Dan Kehn