Reducing Grinder Static

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bluegrod

#1: Post by Bluegrod »

I am looking for advice on how to reduce grinder static in my pasquini moka grinder. I have been dealing with flying grounds for awhile now but it has finally driven me to the edge of madness with grounds flying everywhere when I dose.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

It's not a settled topic, and this is second hand stuff (since nobody is replying first hand). In many cases the problem is with new grinders and goes away as the grinders break in. In some cases, grounding the path where the grinds are going eliminates the problem. Finally, there's a device still made that originates from the old record days, the zerostat.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#3: Post by IMAWriter »

Wow, Jim, I have one of those!(somewhere)
I purchased it back in the late 80's when I had time to be an audiophile (Mark Levinson, and AR tubes, Magnaplanar, Linn Sondek, etc) RECORDS!!! :lol:
I wonder how long the shelf lif is on one of these. Gotta go to the basement and try to find the dang thing.
My doser-less modded Rio SJ already has a some static charge. I can only imagine this winter with 20f temps, and 30% humidity.
So, assuming the OP and I have a Zerostat in our trembling hands, where do we discharge?

eastpresso

#4: Post by eastpresso »

Before you accidentally chute yourself (sorry couldn't resist :mrgreen:)- take a look at these.
IIRC the Pasquini Moka is a rebranded Anfim Best.

'Curtain' type

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38838634@N00/2048579568/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slayerespresso/2188192678/

Wire type

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coffeegeek/475169873/

How to make your Mazzer dose like an Anfim

Grid type

Mazzer Mini E Doserless, Type A & Type B

Psyd

#5: Post by Psyd »

IMAWriter wrote: I purchased it back in the late 80's when I had time to be an audiophile (Mark Levinson, and AR tubes, Magnaplanar, Linn Sondek, etc) RECORDS!!! :lol:
I'm still running some Maggies in my living room, and I've got an old Harris Broadcast C-12 to make my records dizzy! Let me know if you want any of 'em!?! ; >
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

IMAWriter wrote:So, assuming the OP and I have a Zerostat in our trembling hands, where do we discharge?
I couldn't find the alt.coffee thread where this was discussed, so you'll need to rely on my memory. That version is to zap the chute and/or doser with the zerostat.

Sorry, I can't come up with more.

I do have one reality check. Fine particles make up at most a 1/2% of the grind by weight, but about 20% of the visible surface area. In other words, if the static is mainly affecting fines (i.e. the sticking stuff is a fine powder), you are very likely thinking the problem is a lot more serious than it actually is. It could be that it's mainly a cosmetic, housekeeping type thing.
Jim Schulman

IMAWriter

#7: Post by IMAWriter »

Static is not terrible, even for the doserless, but I know it will be in our extra dry winters here. The hair in my nose feels electrified :lol: Sorry. :oops:

Advertisement
eastpresso

#8: Post by eastpresso replying to IMAWriter »

Tried the wire mod yet? :mrgreen:

IMAWriter

#9: Post by IMAWriter »

When I received the grinder, the Mazzer little wire thingy (well most of it was already installed...) a little piece had been broken off.
I some ways, doserless is cool, especially when utilizing the WDT...grind falls right in...just a tap on the funnel gets the clinging grind off the inside, and no grind clinging to that stainless cover piece in the doser...hated having to brush that each time. The doser did provide less clumping, of course, but the WDT takes care of most of that.