Reducing Compak K10 Fresh grinds retention.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Snotman1

#1: Post by Snotman1 »

Hiy'all, long time lurker ...

I'm new owner of a K10 Fresh, and was unimpressed with the grinds retention. As has been noted on this (or some other?) forum, there is a rubber flap between the grind chamber and the chute. There was some talk that this is important to help with dose consistency.

I removed the chute today, after finding a huge amount of grinds caught up in it. Happy to report no change in dose consistency (bang-on every time), and much better flow of grinds.

coffeesnob1

#2: Post by coffeesnob1 »

Could the flap be some sort of safety feature possibly? It surely has to have a purpose. Their definitely is no denying the fact that the "titan" conicals aren't the most home-friendly grinders. Hence the current popularity of the Hg-one and Pharos.

_OlTimer

#3: Post by _OlTimer »

Can you tell any difference in static?

Snotman1 (original poster)

#4: Post by Snotman1 (original poster) »

I'm sure it is a safety feature, as the chute is reasonably short and a probing finger can (just) reach the grind chamber.
Clumping is less with the flap removed. I've not had any issues with static, either with or without the flap.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mitch236 »

Based only on my experience with the Robur's static screen, it seems the screen helps with dosing consistency shot to shot. Without the screen almost every shot measures very close but then a wall of grounds falls and the shot is over a gm heavy. The other phenomenon I've noticed is that the stream of grounds in the chute doesn't all move with the same velocity without the screen in place. I haven't noticed this affecting the shot.

I also live in a part of the country where static isn't a problem so take my observations for what they're worth.

EricC
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by EricC »

coffeesnob1 wrote:There definitely is no denying the fact that the "titan" conicals aren't the most home-friendly grinders.
You forget the Elektra Nino. :wink:

Bluecold

#7: Post by Bluecold »

The rubber flap is definitely against static, however, the length of a filled up chute will provide enough backpressure on it's own to slow down grounds enough to prevent static.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

trihard

#8: Post by trihard »

How hard is it to remove the chute to get to where the rubber flap is? How is the rubber flap held in place (i.e. can you put it back if it doesn't work out being removed)?

jerbear00

#9: Post by jerbear00 »

What kind of retention are you getting on the Fresh now?

I am still torn between the fresh and wbc... I weigh and typically single dose. Sounds like the consensus is that the WBC is the way to go for my situation

JmanEspresso

#10: Post by JmanEspresso »

^^most definitely.