Recent Versalab M3 performance - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Phaelon56

#41: Post by Phaelon56 »

networkcrasher wrote:Edmund,
I doubt you'd be interested in this grinder for the WBC as it's pretty slow. Given the time constraints, waiting on the M3 would not be much fun. :-)

-Mark
I may be mistaken but I believe that the WBC uses the "official" espresso machines and grinders supplied by a sponsor with who they have a relationship. Right now the espresso machine is Nuova Simonelli and I can't recall what the grinder is, but I do know that in competition all participants are required to work with the designated gear. Having a Versalab M3 won't be much benefit for training of you have compete with a different grinder.

Marshall

#42: Post by Marshall »

Phaelon56 wrote:I may be mistaken but I believe that the WBC uses the "official" espresso machines and grinders supplied by a sponsor with who they have a relationship.
Only the official espresso machine is required. Use of the official grinder (currently Mahlkoenig) is optional. http://worldbaristachampionship.com/wor ... 013.06.pdf
Marshall
Los Angeles

coffeecircus

#43: Post by coffeecircus »

This is how I recently use my Versalab solely for espresso cupping purpose. It left too much ground inside the funnel because the wiper failed to sweep it clean. I decide to take off the funnel and the wiper. I use plastic cup to collect the ground directly off the burrs, weigh it, and pull a shot.

And this is what the grinder look like after grinding a shot. I just wipe everything off with a brush, and start again. Basically I have zero ground left to contaminate with the next shot. A little bit messy, but works. :wink: