Recent Versalab M3 performance - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Edmundbuston

#31: Post by Edmundbuston »

Anyone know anyone who has a Versalab Grinder for sale? It looks an incredible bit of kit, I need a grinder like this for next years World Barista Championship campaign. Unless anyone knows a grinder that grinds through ALL the beans put in the top???
I'm from the UK and the import duties I would have to pay ordering a new one just make it so expensive.
Cheers Edmund

DavidMLewis

#32: Post by DavidMLewis »

leonardo wrote:I received my Versalab grinder about a month ago and am struggling a bit with its distribution of coffee into the portafilter. I have a La Spaziale and the grinder deposits in a nice ring(as often described) and then a kind of column of coffee. It seems like the column is a result of coffee coming off the sweeper when the grinder stops.The column is more compacted and difficult to incorporate into the rest of the grounds. Is any one else having this problem ? Is there a method for getting coffee from the Versalab into the La Spaz more evenly?
Hi,

You should remove your lower funnel and check things. Something might have gotten moved in shipping. In my experience, that column of semi-compacted coffee results when the static wiper is either broken or not correctly adjusted. It should be as close to the burr carriers as it can be without rubbing on them.

Best,
David

Advertisement
leonardo

#33: Post by leonardo »

The "column" appears even with very small doses of coffee. I can minimize it , but not make it go away, by toggling the grinder on and off. Is it likely the static wiper or the moving one ? In your opinion, should I tackle this my self or send it back to Versalab?
In reference to whether this should be a new thread, isnt the topic really a polling of Versalab owners asking them whether they have experienced any common problems ? I would think my experience is both relevant and on target. The grind is not smooth, fluffy and consistent at any dose. I got chunks. Its a problem I need help sorting out and that may have some influence on the decisions of others. Thanks.

DavidMLewis

#34: Post by DavidMLewis »

Hi,

It's certainly not the way the grinder usually behaves, so it's worth looking at. Shipping the grinder is enough of a pain that you should at least check it yourself. Lay the grinder on its back and look up the funnel with a flashlight and a dental mirror. The moving wiper should be a consistent distance from the funnel all the way around; they say about the thickness of a business card. Make sure the funnel is seated and the holding screws are tight, of course. With the latest static wiper, you may not be able to see it without removing the funnel, which is covered in the owner's manual. Just make sure the moving wiper is at the bottom before you lower the funnel, so that it won't hit.

This is segueing into a discussion about maintenance on the M3 grinder, so Dan may want to split it off.

Best,
David

Methyltheobromin

#35: Post by Methyltheobromin »

Hi Edmundbuston,

how about an old hand grinder, e.g. Dienes? I do not know how they compare to the Versalab, but quite a few people (including me) are very fond of them, and as far as my tests are concerned, the good ones can at least compete with standard entry level grinders (I compared my Dienes Mokka 88 to the Pavoni Jolly Dosato Lusso). For me, one of the biggest advantages of the hand grinders is zero ground coffee retention, exactly what you were looking for. Maybe have a look at the "hand grinder jive" thread for some more info.

Cheers,

Methyltheobromin

PS: Sorry for OT.

hperry

#36: Post by hperry »

The Versalab is well beyond the capabilities of any of the several hand grinders that I own. But then, it should be given the price and functionality differential.
Hal Perry

networkcrasher

#37: Post by networkcrasher »

Edmundbuston wrote:Anyone know anyone who has a Versalab Grinder for sale? It looks an incredible bit of kit, I need a grinder like this for next years World Barista Championship campaign. Unless anyone knows a grinder that grinds through ALL the beans put in the top???
I'm from the UK and the import duties I would have to pay ordering a new one just make it so expensive.
Cheers Edmund
Edmund,
I doubt you'd be interested in this grinder for the WBC as it's pretty slow. Given the time constraints, waiting on the M3 would not be much fun. :-)

-Mark

Advertisement
Edmundbuston

#38: Post by Edmundbuston »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments, Methyltheobromin you are right the best type of grinder which leaves no grinds is a hand grinder and Mark you are right that the versalab is quite slow and hence not interesting.

This is exactly why I need the versalab because it's not the speed of the grinder that makes a performance uninteresting it's what you do with your time. I'll be getting the next group handle ready, explaining and dosing the next selection of beans etc... so infact if used correctly a grinder like this could be much more interesting much more involving for the judges and audience than a standard grinder.

This is also the reason that rules out a hand grinder because that would be boring, standing there for a minuite or 2 slowly turning a mill!!!

I am very fortunate and at work I have at my disposal a Mazzer mini e, super jolly timer, major e, kony auto and a Mahlkonig Tanzania along with several espresso machines... None of these grinders are able to grind through all the beans and leave no grinds behind (the Tanzania is closest). I'm not going to turn up to a competition with loads of grinders just so I can make different coffees easily.

My next plan is to make my own versalab grinder.......How does an espresso machine pump motor attached to a hairo skeleton sound???

Happy days. Ed

Methyltheobromin

#39: Post by Methyltheobromin »

My next plan is to make my own versalab grinder.......How does an espresso machine pump motor attached to a hairo skeleton sound???
Sounds great, but I think the Hario Skerton is not the best candidate, as it's adjustment mechanism is stepped. If you want to get by with minimum hassle, get a Gesto or Gesto Junior grider, those are the only hand grinders I know of with ball bearings. You can only get them used, most probably on German ebay, as they have been out of production for decades. They are among the slower hand grinders, but have quite a good reputation for a consistent grind, most probably due to their ball bearings. At least you'd get points for the most original grinding contraption in the competition.

Cheers,

Roland

norschtein

#40: Post by norschtein »

Hi,
obviously the VERSALAB grinders have been impulsively evaluated by HB and other US or UK boards.
Untill recently one wouldn't find any first hand reviews in German http://www.kaffee-netz.de, though.
Now, both the first German VERSALAB purchasers have launched their field report -- and for those who hesitate to read German: there are really nice close ups of the tech grinder! 8)
http://www.kaffee-netz.de/m-hlen/47133- ... -loft.html
It's all about the grind...
Axel