Rancilio Rocky doser not advancing?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
skydragondave

#1: Post by skydragondave »

Hi all,
I'm wondering if you can help me. I picked up a used Rocky grinder with doser and noticed the doser wheel just goes back and forth with the lever. When I took it apart to take a look at it, I compared it to the diagram and everything seems to be in place. Yet when I pull back the lever that advances the doser wheel, I can spin the doser wheel freely in both directions with very little resistance. How can I repair this? When I let the advancing lever rest against the one-way gear, it just sits against the tooth and pushes and pulls it back and forth. I tried applying some Dow Corning 110 to the shaft and one-way gear thinking its viscosity might hold the wheel in position so it could be advanced by the dosing lever, but to no avail.
Thanks for any advice.
LMWDP #433

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

I had a similar problem with ascaso dosers. The doser spring would be in place, but it would not catch on the gear. Turned out the mount stripped out so the spring had no resistance. It could be that the clip spring is worn out, or the gear teeth have worn down.
LMWDP #366

skydragondave (original poster)

#3: Post by skydragondave (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply.
I've included a photograph. Here you can see the advancer gear, and lever attached to the doser lever handle. The springs are intact, and there's no appreciable wear. However, the doser wheel moves in both directions without resistance, so spring pressure just keeps the advancer lever seated in the cog of the gear, and just pushes the doser wheel back and forth when you pull the handle.

LMWDP #433

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

Does the pin move with the cog? It shouldn't. If it does then the mount has broken off. The cog looks a little worn, it could be that things don't catch as they should with those rounded edges.
LMWDP #366

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

skydragondave wrote:Thanks for the reply.
I've included a photograph. Here you can see the advancer gear, and lever attached to the doser lever handle. The springs are intact, and there's no appreciable wear. However, the doser wheel moves in both directions without resistance, so spring pressure just keeps the advancer lever seated in the cog of the gear, and just pushes the doser wheel back and forth when you pull the handle.
A video of this action would be helpful.
LMWDP #366

skydragondave (original poster)

#6: Post by skydragondave (original poster) »

Thanks,
I found the problem.
To the lower right just beside the discharge chute there is a screw on a pedestal. Underneath the screw is the remnants of a spring steel escapement lever that is meant to press against the advancer wheel and hold the cog in position so the doser lever can slide back to the next cog. I purchased one today from an authorized dealer for $2.50 and it solved the problem.
Thanks again for the advice.
LMWDP #433

pacificmanitou

#7: Post by pacificmanitou »

I figured it would be something like that. Clip springs a the weakest points on dosers. I replaced this part on a grinr I once owned four or five times.
LMWDP #366