Quamar M80e - grind fine level - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
doublehelix

#11: Post by doublehelix »

doublehelix

#12: Post by doublehelix »

It doesn't make sense what about what I'm about to say here:
BUT-
Maybe putting your static guard back will affect your grind? Aside from possible dulling of your burrs, this is a delta to maybe consider. ??????

Good luck! These problems are really a pain.....as Compass previously said, we all can relate to such vexing issues that get in the way of our hard-won coffee pleasures.

Advertisement
joalepins

#13: Post by joalepins »

I use to have a M80E and end up returning it because I hated it so much.

Same problem that you are describing. I couldn't grind fine enough for lots of coffee bean roasts.

Couldn't even choke the machine at the finest, it would stop taking beans from the hopper.

The touch pad for me was a PITA to use, always spraying coffee even when I didn't want to ...

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#14: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

OK

Burrs are sharp although there are some minor notches. The static guard came off just recently after I saw how clumped grinds where at the chute.

However, when I checked the picture from 1st line the burrs are significantly different compared to mine. My burrs have 5 cutaways whereas the picture on 1st line shows I believe 12 cutaways/reliefs. Looks to be a lot more aggressive.

Can someone confirm that the 1st line pictures are accurate(sometime they put up generic photos)

doublehelix

#15: Post by doublehelix »

Bingo. The 1st line burrs are what I see in my Q80.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Bill33525 »

Check with Qumar about swapping out the burrs.
My M80 has the 1St Line replacement burrs and they are razor sharp.
Hope this helps.

#17: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Oh..this is very encouraging. Looks like a design issue.

I will report back...Thanks for the help

Frustration level dropping,,hopeful :)

Advertisement

#18: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Ok, I have an update

I contacted the vendor IDC in November. They ended up contacting Quamar as they were still getting grinders with the old design. I had a response from them about a week later that they would be providing new design burrs for me and expected them to come in just prior to x-mas.

I was travelling over xmas and did not get them until after the holidays. Finally got around to putting them in last weekend as I had guests over. I have had a bout of GERT so caffeine was off the menu for a while otherwise they would have been in earlier. I did no seasoning to the burrs.

The extraction is much better. :D Before I was dosing 19 gr into a VST basket with the zero actually at zero and my grind setting was at 0.5. Not good. No room to adjust

With the new burrs in place I recalibrated. Zero still at zero. Grind setting at 3, I am dosing 17 gr into the VST basket. I got 27 gr out in 42 secs so I could still let up the grind a bit.

I will see how this settles out with the burrs seasoning but pretty stoked. The extraction looks better, not so watery. I am drinking these as caps. All I can say is mocha,cocoa!!! Taste awesome.

Great service from IDC. Thanks to forum members for the help problem solving.

Old Burr Left New Burr Right

17 grams fresh home roasted

Coffee time and weight out

Voila