Professionally pre-ground coffee vs...

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

So now that I've gotten my Pharos up and running and have discovered the benefits of properly ground coffee, I have a question:

What is preferable, professionally pre-ground coffee that has been sitting around in a can for a while, or beans that have been sitting around in a bag for a while and "whack-a-moled" in a cheap Melita shredder?

In other words, stale coffee of consistent ground size, or stale coffee "freshly", but inconsistently ground?

mariobarba

#2: Post by mariobarba »

1st, if you have a Pharos why would you choose either of those options?

2nd, if you are choosing between stale coffee and stale coffee, drink tea and put the coffees in your compost.

If push came to shove though, choose the recently ground coffee as it is probably less stale than the pre-ground stuff.

Seriously though, there is no right answer here.

turtle

#3: Post by turtle »

Whirly blade fresh ground of fresh roasted beans brewed within a few minutes of "butchering" in any FILTERED pour over method.

Put filtered pour over (or auto drip) into the mix and you can just step on the beans and get a decent brew running it through a paper filter as long as the beans are freshly roasted and just ground (well... whacked up a bit).

<Expression of personal opinion NOT a recommendation>
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Almico (original poster)

#4: Post by Almico (original poster) »

mariobarba wrote:1st, if you have a Pharos why would you choose either of those options?

2nd, if you are choosing between stale coffee and stale coffee, drink tea and put the coffees in your compost.

If push came to shove though, choose the recently ground coffee as it is probably less stale than the pre-ground stuff.

Seriously though, there is no right answer here.
I wouldn't consider either...I'm firmly moved over to the dark side. I got the roasting thing down pat and am brewing the best coffee I have even tasted. I'm swimming in coffee heaven.

But after using my Pharos and uncovering the huge difference that a good grind can make to a brew, it just made me wonder which is better, good grind with pre-ground shelf coffee or poor grind with shelf beans and ground "fresh".

In other words given equally stale coffee, which is better a good, old grind or a fresh poor grind?

Granted, neither are desirable. I'm just curious.

turtle

#5: Post by turtle »

That is sort of like asking "which would you prefer to die from, Being hit by a bus or being hit by a train"

Neither are very good choices.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

SpaceTime

#6: Post by SpaceTime »

turtle wrote:That is sort of like asking "which would you prefer to die from, Being hit by a bus or being hit by a train"
That's easy - train.
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

EricBNC

#7: Post by EricBNC »

Almico wrote:I wouldn't consider either...I'm firmly moved over to the dark side. I got the roasting thing down pat and am brewing the best coffee I have even tasted. I'm swimming in coffee heaven.

But after using my Pharos and uncovering the huge difference that a good grind can make to a brew, it just made me wonder which is better, good grind with pre-ground shelf coffee or poor grind with shelf beans and ground "fresh".

In other words given equally stale coffee, which is better a good, old grind or a fresh poor grind?

Granted, neither are desirable. I'm just curious.
You might have to take the hit for the team on this one. Grind up some coffee with the Pharos, crush up another batch with whirlyblade, hammer, etc (wont matter which long as the big parts become smaller parts) and set aside for a couple weeks.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

SpaceTime

#8: Post by SpaceTime replying to EricBNC »

Wait, I think I've seen this movie before... But I won't spoil the ending for the OP! :lol:
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

Almico:
You may find this thread informative. 2 month old Kimbo from Italy produces great espresso. I'm confused!

The term Stale Whole Bean Coffee requires definition to have any meaning.

Randy G.

#10: Post by Randy G. »

turtle wrote:That is sort of like asking "which would you prefer to die from, Being hit by a bus or being hit by a train"
What color bus?

But, Alan (the OP).. Come on! See what it says up there, at the top of the page? "Your guide to exceptional espresso." Exceptional espresso is a goal far beyond, "..properly ground coffee," or a choice of which 'style' of stale coffee would you prefer.

Which of the following, in terms of Exceptional Espresso would you choose:
1 - Quality beans
2 - Properly roasted
3 - Supplied to you as soon as possible from the roaster
4 - Ground per use
5 - Carefully brewed
6 - Genuinely savored in body and mind
7 - All of the above [my answer]

Those are all too easy to achieve (number five can be a challenge, and for number six, you are on your own). Life is too short to accept anything less. Coffee is a pleasure food, a gourmet food, and it should be treated that way. Anything less shouldn't be acceptable nor merits discussion.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done