Problem disassembling Mazzer doser

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BartG

#1: Post by BartG »

Hello,

I'm working on a Mazzer super jolly. Here are before and after pictures:

It was an automatic version and I removed those functions. A new layer of paint and a thorough clean-up should cover the aesthetic aspects.

The machine is grinding fine (also put in new burrs), but now that I'm actually using it I'm looking into some modifications (naturally :D).
This is where I have a problem. To clean it I fully disassembled the doser and put it back together. But now I would like to install a sweeping mod. The problem is that I no longer can unscrew the big nut that also controls the height position of the sweeper vanes. Maybe I put it back too tight? (It is now much lower than before the restoration - see pics). I do need to turn it counterclockwise to unscrew right?

My question now is: would it be relatively safe to use a wrench on it, or might I damage the doser mechanism this way?

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

BartG (original poster)

#3: Post by BartG (original poster) »

Thanks, in taking apart his doser he writes: "On the inside of the doser, unscrew the star shaped nut. This will take many turns and you have to hold the "sweeper" from rotating"

On my doser the sweeper only turns when I turn the starshaped nut in a clockwise direction.

Could someone please verify if clockwise is the right direction to unscrew it? Just so that I don't wreck mine because it's pretty stuck now.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

I HAVE NOT disassembled a Mazzer doser. HOWEVER, given the thoroughness of the restoration manual I linked to, I would assume with a lot of confidence that the threading on the bolt you are trying to loosen is a normal right-hand thread, i.e., turn counter-clockwise to loosen.

The best type of tool to use is what is called a tee-handle wrench.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

BartG (original poster)

#5: Post by BartG (original poster) »

All right, i've unscrewed the nut. It unscrewed indeed counter-clockwise.
I see now that I pushed/screwed the vanes all the way down and maybe forced the starshaped nut at the end, what caused it to be stuck.

Thanks for thinking along. I've got some modding to do this evening ;-)