Precautions when removing burrs on Mazzer Mini

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
CaffeineAndKilos38

#1: Post by CaffeineAndKilos38 »

so I decided to remove the burrs on my mazzer mini, does anyone have any tips or precautions I should take when doing this? For example when cleaning the burrs for the first time, I should have taken the precaution of not getting thread lubricant on my brush haha which is why I'm now removing the burrs to clean them and the chamber with rubbing alcohol. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

Yes. Don't do it. Unless you bought the machine with a lot of mileage on it and you now have to replace the burrs, there is no reason to do this. If you bought it new, and you are a home user, the burrs will probably outlive you, unless a stone gets in there.
Marshall
Los Angeles

CaffeineAndKilos38 (original poster)

#3: Post by CaffeineAndKilos38 (original poster) »

Marshall,
My issue is that I got thread lubricant on the burrs, and I want to thoroughly clean it. How would you recommend doing that?

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

Sorry. I had a Mini for years and never had reason to remove the burrs. But read lots of tales of woe from people who did. Grindz and Puly Grind are your friend. Also a vacuum.
Marshall
Los Angeles

FireBurnDread

#5: Post by FireBurnDread »

I would be concerned about trying to re-align the burrs when placing them together. Once you loosen the screws on the burrs, you'll notice there's a tiny amount horizontal movement for the burrs. My concern was how to align the top and bottom burrs after replace them as there isn't really a fixed position for these burrs to sit.

I did remove them for cleaning nonetheless and nothing seems to be too bad. Any potential problems probably revolved themselves after a few pounds of beans, just like seasoning a new grinder i guess

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

I never had any trouble replacing the burrs on a Mazzer. As far as the lube is concerned, if it is food safe, I would just wipe as much off with a dry cloth as possible. Then run some Grindz or rice through, or use some old coffee.
Scott
LMWDP #248