Poll : One Shot Grind Remnants

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cafeIKE

#1: Post by cafeIKE »

In another thread, Puckology Challenge :
cafeIKE wrote:A lot of coffee rests in the grinder, even if you do sweep / chopstick it after a shot.
Next day, before you load beans, run the grinder. How much stale coffee exits?
Psyd wrote:Zero. Zilch. Nix. Nada. None.
When using a grinder in one shot mode, that is to say loading one shot worth of beans at a time,
every I've ever owned has always dumped a load of dry, stale coffee the next day when run empty. Regardless of coffee or how savagely I brutalized the grinder, there is always a nice little pile of stales available the next day. That, along with a desire to remove as much other OCD from the espresso dance, led me to abandon single charge grinding.

So, if you single charge grind, how much coffee exits your grinder when dry run the next day?
Versalab M3 owners need not respond :wink:

Advertisement
GVDub
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by GVDub »

None.

But then I only use hand grinders.
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

cafeIKE (original poster)

#3: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

Both my PeDe and my ???? do :?

JonR10

#4: Post by JonR10 »

When running this way with either of my doser grinders I have virtually no waste and nothing left in the grinder. I can weigh what goes in (beans) vs. what comes out and be within a a tenth (or two) of a gram.

The trick is to "bump" the motor and sweep the chute, repeating a few times until nothing more is expelled.

In contrast, with my newest grinder running with beans in the hopper there is a much larger amount of waste. I have to grind through whatever partially-ground and leftover chute remnants before the first shot of a session. Fortunately this doesn't bother me, and I have been roasting a surplus lately anyway.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

GVDub
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by GVDub »

I just did a dry grind on both my Leinbrock's Ideal and my No-Name and got absolutely zilch out. Used the No-Name this morning and the Leinbrock's yesterday.

I weigh before grinding, and crank until it turns free. Then after I've emptied the drawer, I give the side of the mill a whack, and get the rest - 14 grams in, 14 grams out.
cafeIKE wrote:Both my PeDe and my ???? do :?
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

malachi

#6: Post by malachi »

I never grind that way and honestly don't really understand the point of doing so. But I'm sure it makes sense for some people.

I'm guessing the trapped coffee in this approach is dependent upon the grinder.
What's in the cup is what matters.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

cafeIKE wrote: So, if you single charge grind, how much coffee exits your grinder when dry run the next day?
Versalab M3 owners need not respond :wink:

The Versalab dumps about a half gram 15 minutes after the shot.

I spent two weeks doing a weigh in/weigh out on my Compak WBC, a grinder with a lot of nooks and crannies, where my routine includes a lot of burping. Obviously, the mean difference between weight in and weight out was zero, but the standard deviation was about 1.3 grams. Moreover, there is a memory pattern -- one tends to get less out than in all day, and then the excess appears in the basket on the next morning's first grind.

Blind testing has made me very humble, so I'm pretty certain that the 1 to 1.5 grams of stale grinds in a double is something I can't taste. All of you fancied or real super discriminators who can tell, buy a Versalab, where the stales get dumped shortly after the shot.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
mhoy

#8: Post by mhoy »

I make the first double for my wife's latte, the second double is for my espresso. She's happy and I'm happy and heck I couldn't tell the difference anyway. :D

Mark

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee »

malachi wrote:I never grind that way and honestly don't really understand the point of doing so. But I'm sure it makes sense for some people.
In a commercial environment zero sense. In a home environment can make total sense, ie routinely pulling back to back different coffees.

To answer the poll, less than 0.1g.
Mike McGinness

mrmekmek

#10: Post by mrmekmek »

I hate it when life gets unexpectedly more complicated:

I was reading this thread and planning to respond with all the steps I go through to clean my grinder after each shot in explanation of why there are no stale grounds left in my Super Jolly doserless the day after when run empty. Then I thought I should just give it a blast from a photo/computer cleaning can of pressurized air down the throat - up the chute just to prove.....
:shock:
.....15 minutes later I collected 1 gram of the grinds that flew out in about a 2 foot radius around my grinder, and I guesstimate that there were likely about 1.5 grams in total. This is likely not even any possible "caked on" stuff as it was a light blast and came out as loose grinds, not in any "chunks".