Pharos--ultra simple adjustment

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rpavlis

#1: Post by rpavlis »

A few minutes ago I accidently found a simple way to adjust the Pharos and restore previous settings with no attached protractors, no closing the burrs to make the adjustment of measuring angles, etc.

There have been previous posts about replacing the original Pharos locking nuts with locking threaded collars:

Pharos adjustment

In reality there is a way to avoid even having to print a protractor and attach it to anything! Replace the original cap on the Pharos shaft nut with a stainless steel acorn nut and put an external star washer under it.

The star washer I obtained has 12 points, so they points are 30 degrees apart. The points on the washer can serve as degree markers. (Some of these washers have other numbers of points.)

(Be sure that the acorn nut and washer are stainless steel to avoid ordinary steel contact with stainless.)

As long as one does not remove the Pharos handle the angle between the slit in the collar and points on the HANDLE determine fineness of grind. There is no need to close the burrs to adjust the fineness. I though I would paint one tooth of the washer red, but I realised that was not really necessary. The centre of each tooth is 30 degrees from the centre of its neighbours.