Pharos - Removing Grounds (voodoodaddy mod) - Page 22

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spressomon

#211: Post by spressomon »

^^^ Sorry no vid but the adjustment is made the same way...just with a pointer, a scale for reference and a set-screw type locking collar.

FWIW: I talked myself out of Will's catch can mod for almost a year for this/that reason before finally breaking down and doing it. Glad I did...as close to zero retention as you'll probably find.
No Espresso = Depresso

beer&mathematics

#212: Post by beer&mathematics »

spressomon wrote:..the adjustment is made the same way...just with a pointer, a scale for reference and a set-screw type locking collar.
Hi spressomon, thanks for the reply.

:?: This is what I am imagining: you need a small hex key tool to unlock the set-screw in the thumb nut (the one with the pointer), then move the pointer to the preferred setting, then lock the thumb nut with the hex key again. Do I have it correct, or is there no tool needed?
LMWDP #431

MVendi81

#213: Post by MVendi81 »

After the inital tightening of the set screws, no tools are needed.

It has been covered on one of these pages, but to paraphrase, you need to get the nylon tips on the set screws to conform to the threads on the main shaft. Use an allen key (#3 IIRC) and tighten just until you feel resistance, then do each one about 1/4 turn more. The collar should then be snug enough that it won't move during even the finest of grinds, and you can make the adjustments by simply turning the collar, just as you would on, say, a Mazzer.

beer&mathematics

#214: Post by beer&mathematics »

Thanks MVendi that clarifies it for me :wink:
LMWDP #431

beer&mathematics

#215: Post by beer&mathematics »

My Pharos has returned to me, & oh, it is so pretty!

Will is one cool dude and his work speaks for itself--pictures don't do this baby justice. Definitely looks sooooo much better in person!!! This grinder was made to be decked out in all shiny metal parts IMO,
but I agree with and appreciate that OE builds the Pharos while minimizing costs.

I basically got all of Will's Mods except his cap. As you can see, I'm missing a cap (original owner lost it). If anyone has one they don't use, please PM me. Otherwise, I will get an OEM cap once OE gets them back in stock. Then my Pharos will be complete. Some of the aesthetic choices I made were: 1) keep one side of the acrylic scale with the protector tape, and 2) red feet. I am diggin the blue and red colors on my Pharos 8)

(edit: had to add some tape to secure the scale which kept falling off. Went with some bright yellow-Pow!)

Red feet! Red feet! Red feet! :twisted:

My gf totally digs the grinder and thinks it looks straight out of the Jetsons. I (okay, more like Doug, Barb, & Will) take that as a compliment. =)

This post is for pure eye-candy purposes, I'll comment on use after I've had more time to play with it he he
LMWDP #431

cardel

#216: Post by cardel »

Hello,

I am new to Home Barista. I've been looking thru a few pages and trying to understand if the Voodoodaddy upgrade for the Pharos Grinder is something that one has to do oneself ... or is it a kit that one van buy..?

Also, I have sent Doug at Orphanespresso a message from his website but have still not heard back (actually just sent one from here as well). It is not ata all clear if he is still making the PHaros Grinder as there is no link to actually purchase one. and yet it says nothing about them being discontinued.

thanks to anyone who answers,

best regards, Carlos

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#217: Post by orphanespresso »

The Pharos will be available again as soon as we receive that part we're waiting for...and the Lido will be available again on Tuesday afternoon...
Barb

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#218: Post by jwCrema »

I used my Pharos for several months in the stock configuration. I came up with a system to grind the beans onto a piece of plastic, then did the OE Slapshot technique. I got my crema dialed in nicely and everything was good, but somehow it didn't feel "great".

Then I installed Will's Grounds Catcher Mod. I have no coffee grounds sticking to the plastic and then going into the drawer or on the counter. Now things are tidy, and I simply remove the grounds in the can. While I had adjusted to the need to shaking and bang the grinder around, I didn't fully realize how much I hated this step at 6 AM.

While I thought my banging and shaking was effective, I was extremely surprised at the amount of trapped grounds that were of an unknown age in the stock grinder. Now all of the grounds are out and things are clean.

I know there are other mods out there, but this is the only one I feel I need. And it makes the machine completely elegant to use. I just marvel at the whole system now.

Ben_VC

#219: Post by Ben_VC »

Hi all,

I have my Pharos on the way - what is the best way to contact Will for these modifications? PM on the board here?

Thanks Ben

beer&mathematics

#220: Post by beer&mathematics »

PM worked for me =)
LMWDP #431