Pharos - Removing Coffee Grounds - Page 14

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EricBNC

#131: Post by EricBNC »

Cool use of a ramekin there - I think the grounds removal issue is over blown a bit. With practice it is easy to remove the grounds using the Pharos as designed.

I have good luck using a Wow!Pad micro thin mouse pad as a surface to dump my coffee out on after grinding - after pouring out the grounds the hard flexible plastic disc shaped mouse pad forms easily into a half tube to direct the grounds into the portafilter basket. It is a very quick process too.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

bostonbuzz

#132: Post by bostonbuzz »

Can someone who successfully did the silicone mod post on how exactly it's sprayed on. I'm afraid I'm over or under spraying. A quick spray has a lot of dry dots with no silicone and doesn't improve the issue. A thick spray has the whole area shiny and doesn't dry over a few days, even after wiping with a cloth. That being said, I sprayed over my linoleum floor and that area was extremely slippery for a couple of days. I'm not sure what's going on here. :?:

If I could get the grinds to just slide out it would be a big improvement as I could dose straight into the pf (w/funnel) and skip the paper step.
LMWDP #353

genecounts

#133: Post by genecounts »

Weston food grade silicone spray is very expensive but the can is very heavy so had lots to experiment with. I cut a couple of plastic soda bottles off quarter of way from top, cleaned and dried, and experimented.
From past experience knew it was difficult to spray into an interior tight space. Result was shaped was shaped somewhat like the OE funnel and that helped.

On later spraying the Pharos funnel had best results about 12" away and it slightly beaded also. Extremely light and three coats about an hour apart worked best for me.

Result has been a godsend since I dose directly into portafilter.
Good luck!

mathof

#134: Post by mathof »

drgary wrote:The only thing I'm running into is some difficulty with burr rubbing. I found Doug's instructions for alignment and am linking them here. Even with the burr rubbing I was able to quickly dial in and get some nice pours on my Elektra MCAL.
I found the Pharos Tech Bulletin 5, for whole grinder alignment, very helpful. Following Doug's example, I was able to get non-rubbing burrs at 1/8 of a turn.

tamarian

#135: Post by tamarian »

What I'd like to try, is making the bottom plate the top plate, just like that. This will make the middle plate at the bottom, and let grounds fall unrestricted into a portafilter.

To do that, requires loosening the inner burr from the shaft and sliding the burr to the bottom of the shaft and tightening again. What's currently holding the inner burr to the shaft? Is it easy to loosen, slide, then tighten?

If this works, it's a none destructive MOD, totally reversible...

HB
Admin

#136: Post by HB »

Sorry for the administrative message, but this thread morphed into a mostly discussion of the voodoodaddy mod; to avoid other topics being lost in the conversation, I've split it to its own thread Pharos - Removing Grounds (voodoodaddy mod). If I missed a merge, please let me know via PM with a link. The general discussion should remain here and the voodoodaddy specific ones should go in the new thread.

Please note there's a second mod thread Pharos - Removing Grounds (vokwave mod).
Dan Kehn