Pharos mod - Tray

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
taildraggin

#1: Post by taildraggin »

We make french press in the morning and espresso in the afternoon. I added the Voodoodaddy nylon tipped adjustment nut and roller bearings for quick grinder changes. The loading tray was added mostly for our larger press loads (~60g). In the morning I now dump the whole load on top and just grind, rather than the original 2 x 30g loads. The tray catches the fragments, so the "popper stopper" flap is now gone, too, along with the loading ring.

The long needle on the VDD nut is unnecessary to me, so that is removed. I 'index' grinding adjustments on the clamp slot of the nut. If wanted it, it would probably need some shortening.

Under the OE cap, the axle is tapped for a 5/16" allen bolt, so any electric hex driver can 'motorize' the grinder, particularly for press. (Espresso takes only 25 turns and I don't like the noise in the morning of the little power screw driver I've been using, so I've gone back to the crank.)

The tray is made from a small mixing bowl my wife found that I cut down. It's held on by the bearing and the 4 "floating" grinder bolts that are proper loose.

NB: I bought my Pharos used during a low production time and the previous owner had obviously taken it apart. While the burrs were aligned well, the 4 small grinder retaining bolts were not 'floating'. They were cranked down. It is even smoother now.

Advertisement
Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

A worthy mod. nice addition.
LMWDP #198

day

#3: Post by day »

Very nice indeed. I will likely make something like this myself in the future as well, though I cant imagine how I will manage to cut those holes out, I dont have very good drills! Nonthelss, its excellent.

Check out my grind adjustment mod, very simple, and with adhesive back tape measure you would just adjust it to the topmost nut under the handle. Gives perfect repeatability and makes adjusting a very fine detailed simple process to the mm. I did it just so I could adjust quickly from press to pourover to espresso. Added benefit: the latter Pharos all of the same size threads and nuts, therefore we could share how many mm out we have it set and reduplicate each others grind sizes and brewing parameters, as long as the 0 is truly set to 0.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I use one of the OE dosing funnels in juts that way. It fits inside the small bolts. I use a Pringles Lid cut down the middle as a lid. It is amazing how sturdy those Pringles lids are. I have never needed a replacement.
Scott
LMWDP #248

SlowRain

#5: Post by SlowRain »

Nicely done. I think it enhances the overall shape, too.

taildraggin (original poster)

#6: Post by taildraggin (original poster) »

day wrote:Very nice indeed. I will likely make something like this myself in the future as well, though I cant imagine how I will manage to cut those holes out, I dont have very good drills! Nonthelss, its excellent.
I did use a lathe, drill press and milling machine. But, a drill, hacksaw, dremel, and files could do it, too. (Probably just as fast.) Cutting the bowl down was easy with the lathe, though. Stainless is a pain to drill/cut, and this stuff will tear if you go too fast.

A black plastic one from Doug & Barb would be a nice accessory (hint, hint).

Next addition is figuring out how to open the bottom to a cup. Not quite satisfied with the funnel, mostly because I'm guessing that it only holds about 40g. Need to match the 60 of the press.

Thinking of making a VDD-style bearing bridge and leaving it open for small bowl.