Making my Pharos grind directly into portafilter - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
beer&mathematics

#11: Post by beer&mathematics »

Carl K wrote:...Compared to using the Pharos on the counter alone, its just a little more stable. ...
That's good to know since I would think it looks less stable and would need C-clamps or something.
LMWDP #431

pShoe

#12: Post by pShoe »

Carl K wrote:Hello Pharos fans,
I'm not a wood worker...
You are now :D Looks good.

Carl K (original poster)

#13: Post by Carl K (original poster) »

beer&mathematics wrote:That's good to know since I would think it looks less stable and would need C-clamps or something.
Yeah, it looks like it would be less stable, but at 7 pounds its actually very stable, especially with a rubber shelf liner pad underneath it.

Carl K (original poster)

#14: Post by Carl K (original poster) »

pShoe wrote:You are now :D Looks good.
Thanks very much!

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

Carl,

The most unbelievable claim there is that you're not a woodworker. That stand looks so nice you could sell them. :mrgreen:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Carl K (original poster)

#16: Post by Carl K (original poster) »

Gary,
Thank you very much for the complement. Remember making boxes in kindergarten out of popsicle sticks? Same construction method. My kindergarten teacher would be proud to know that something stuck.

Here's another view from the back.

Chert

#17: Post by Chert »

I've played with that sort of idea. I could make you a piece of oak with an impression routered that you could attach your Pharos to. I wonder if by lift the whole thing as you have it there and rapping it down on your counter would make a mess or simply drop the grounds into your portafilter.

Nice work, BTW!
LMWDP #198

Carl K (original poster)

#18: Post by Carl K (original poster) »

Chert wrote: I wonder if by lift the whole thing as you have it there and rapping it down on your counter would make a mess or simply drop the grounds into your portafilter.
Thanks for the complement.

Probably make a mess. The grinder and stand together weigh 12 pounds. I think it would be too much to lift together and tap on my counter, and I think the portafilter would be shaken out of place if I did this, making a mess.

I just lift the Pharos off the rubber pad and tap it back down on the pad. This knocks some of the grounds through the hole into the portafilter that are reluctant to leave the grinder. Still, grounds inevitably remain in the grinder that fall out later, probably when the static dissipates.

IMAWriter

#19: Post by IMAWriter »

drgary wrote:Carl,

The most unbelievable claim there is that you're not a woodworker. That stand looks so nice you could sell them. :mrgreen:
+1.
Yes, I WANT one.