Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 95

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dsc

#941: Post by dsc »

GlennV wrote:According to an earlier post by orphanespresso, the Pharos uses burrs from the Rossi MC conical. I have one of those (it's a superb grinder) and the shaft is 13mm (measured with a vernier). EspressoUnderground carry burrs in the UK.
I have the Pharos and the shaft is 0.5", I was planning to remove the buttom burr and check the dia of the hole on the burr itself, but I won't be doing that anymore, as I don't want to wreck the Pharos. I'd much rather get another set of the 68mm conicals and check them, especially since I'll be using them for the grinder I'm working on.

@Bluecold: I'm not so great with German, but I reckon you are referring to this 68mm set:

http://www.espressomachinendoctor.de/E ... 13654.html

? Have you ever bought anything from these guys?

As for the Pharos I need to re-assemble the thing again, should've read first that the bottom burr is fixed to the shaft:O

Regards,
dsc.

Bluecold

#942: Post by Bluecold »

dsc wrote: @Bluecold: I'm not so great with German, but I reckon you are referring to this 68mm set:

http://www.espressomachinendoctor.de/E ... 13654.html

? Have you ever bought anything from these guys?
Yes I have, a pair of burrs for an old quickmill and a lower burr carrier for my faema mc. They were not the most communicative, but the stuff arrived just fine and well packaged
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

jbviau
Supporter ★

#943: Post by jbviau »

Is it just me, or is the Pharos no longer available on OE's site (at least temporarily)?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

drgary
Team HB

#944: Post by drgary »

You're right. I think I now own a collectible. I wonder if they have a new grinder in the works?

Added: Just heard from Doug and Barb. Pharos is still alive and well. Waiting for parts.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Carneiro

#945: Post by Carneiro »

Oh, well, I think my Gaggia parts from Ascaso is at the same waiting... But I just can't get a reply from OE! :mrgreen:

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#946: Post by FotonDrv »

The Pharos is still on their site, and mine continues to operate flawlessly!!

I think they updated the photos of the Pharos and its construction/burrs.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

MNSTA

#947: Post by MNSTA »

With wills bolt covers I notice there are three longer than the others, do the longer covers go to the top of the grinder?

EricC
Supporter ♡

#948: Post by EricC replying to MNSTA »

Yes, the longer covers go on the top.

MNSTA

#949: Post by MNSTA »

Ok great thats what I thought ,

I just noticed that when I assembled it with the new bolt covers I could move the outer burr slightly with my fingers as if the top and middle plates were not pulling in close enought to each other,

Is this normal with the new covers?

drgary
Team HB

#950: Post by drgary »

Dan (HB) split off a thread to cover Will's mods, and it may have more of the detail you're seeking. It's here:

Pharos - Removing Grounds (voodoodaddy mod)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!