Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 127

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Exordium01

#1261: Post by Exordium01 »

Doesn't solve the grind retention issue.

For clarification, I'm already planning on building a spalted maple counter extension for the grinder and a recessed knockbox, and the grinder will be mounted to that. I'm guessing I'll need to replace the dosing funnel with some other system, because the grinds don't all come out of the chute even when the stopper isn't in place.

Chert

#1262: Post by Chert »

Exordium01, I PM'd you in response to your comment on the other thread.

Here is a quote from one technique:"Another simple approach to more complete grounds removal is to add three precision (ground) flat washers one to each of the three lower metal bolt covers, just under the middle plate. This in effect makes each of the bottom spacers approximately .050" longer. After normal secure tightening of the outer bolts, this yields a similar sized gap, which lets the chute "float" between the rigid middle and bottom plates and provides (it the chute) room to rattle when "twiddled" by the fingers of the user.{Note This can be made more permanent by making the three bottom spacers longer by the same amount (and all spacers essentially the same length) if one likes the result.}The resultant rattling of the chute is sufficient to release all but the most stubborn of coffee hangups and provides an opportunity to indulge in a little rhythmic musical expression while coaxing the last bit of ground coffee out of the grounds hopper. After using this technique for over a year I have experienced less than .1g-.2g retention per grind in conjunction with making weighed double shots. This works well using when coupled with rdt w/excess water scavenging to reduce static and minimizing water entering the grinder with a wide range of coffees. This technique may not respond well to flipping the grinder all around, but it works well for me if the grinder is kept stationary and upright.

I also removed the chute and cleaned it thoroughly with ethanol. There-after applied three coats of Food Grade Silicone Spray with buffing (using a conical buff) and a few drops of water after each application, to get the chute as slick as possible.
Now the only time I have problems with grounds retention is when I forget to 'twiddle after grinding" !! I have eliminated the chute plug and the outer fiberglass pipe ring altogether."

You mentioned the more extreme VDD mod, which if you don't wish to have to shake the grinder, may be your best bet.

Somewhere in this thread I think there is discussion about grounding the grinder.

I'd like to see pictures of the maple extension when you finish it.
LMWDP #198

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#1263: Post by uscfroadie »

As of December 10, @ 4:40 p.m., OE has the Pharos in stock.
Merle

rittem1

#1264: Post by rittem1 replying to uscfroadie »

I had been checking every day and finally got one a few hours ago. It appears Doug made a few at least but now, as of 4:30 PM/PT, they are out of stock. I feel lucky. Now I just need an espresso machine...
LMWDP #517

OldNuc

#1265: Post by OldNuc »

rittem1 wrote:I had been checking every day and finally got one a few hours ago. It appears Doug made a few at least but now, as of 4:30 PM/PT, they are out of stock. I feel lucky. Now I just need an espresso machine...
Now you are really hooked. :wink:

SlowRain

#1266: Post by SlowRain »

rittem1, I like your way of thinking. It shows long-term planninng. In the mean time, enjoy your awesome moka pot grinder.

rittem1

#1267: Post by rittem1 replying to SlowRain »

Ha Ha! Thanks! Through this site I have learned it is all about the grinder and I can't wait to go thru the inevitable growing pains. I have always loved my Kaliffa, precursor to the Brikka, but admittedly I've been a French Press guy of late. I've been roasting greens for a couple months, first on an air popper and now on a Whirley Pop. Kind of proud of my latest efforts and when my Pharos arrives perhaps the Kaliffa will get some more love. I've found the hunt for a machine to be fascinating and fun. I waffle between lever (Cremina) or Mcal, E-61 HX, DB's on CL that pop up. It is so hard to choose!
LMWDP #517

drgary
Team HB

#1268: Post by drgary »

My MCAL review is now starting to go up in the Bench forum in blog installments. The MCAL's well built, looks great, can be temperature surfed. I like some of your other choices too. The way you're going you'll have something really good soon.

Elektra Microcasa a Leva Review
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

csepulv

#1269: Post by csepulv »

rittem1 wrote:I had been checking every day and finally got one a few hours ago. It appears Doug made a few at least but now, as of 4:30 PM/PT, they are out of stock. I feel lucky. Now I just need an espresso machine...
I posted the following to a different thread, but seems like it may be helpful here.

I set a notification action via IFTTT.com. If the webpage for the Pharos changed to In Stock, I get an email. I was able to order one this way, but I can't vouch for 100% reliability on the notifications. So your mileage may vary with this approach.

I've shared the ifttt recipe, in case it is useful to anyone. (Requires gmail email address, though you could probably modify/create similar for other email).

https://ifttt.com/recipes/223314-notifi ... os-grinder
Chris

Exordium01

#1270: Post by Exordium01 »

Chert wrote:Exordium01, I PM'd you in response to your comment on the other thread.

Here is a quote from one technique:"Another simple approach to more complete grounds removal is to add three precision (ground) flat washers one to each of the three lower metal bolt covers, just under the middle plate. This in effect makes each of the bottom spacers approximately .050" longer. After normal secure tightening of the outer bolts, this yields a similar sized gap, which lets the chute "float" between the rigid middle and bottom plates and provides (it the chute) room to rattle when "twiddled" by the fingers of the user.{Note This can be made more permanent by making the three bottom spacers longer by the same amount (and all spacers essentially the same length) if one likes the result.}The resultant rattling of the chute is sufficient to release all but the most stubborn of coffee hangups and provides an opportunity to indulge in a little rhythmic musical expression while coaxing the last bit of ground coffee out of the grounds hopper. After using this technique for over a year I have experienced less than .1g-.2g retention per grind in conjunction with making weighed double shots. This works well using when coupled with rdt w/excess water scavenging to reduce static and minimizing water entering the grinder with a wide range of coffees. This technique may not respond well to flipping the grinder all around, but it works well for me if the grinder is kept stationary and upright.

I also removed the chute and cleaned it thoroughly with ethanol. There-after applied three coats of Food Grade Silicone Spray with buffing (using a conical buff) and a few drops of water after each application, to get the chute as slick as possible.
Now the only time I have problems with grounds retention is when I forget to 'twiddle after grinding" !! I have eliminated the chute plug and the outer fiberglass pipe ring altogether."

You mentioned the more extreme VDD mod, which if you don't wish to have to shake the grinder, may be your best bet.

Somewhere in this thread I think there is discussion about grounding the grinder.

I'd like to see pictures of the maple extension when you finish it.
Thanks! I'll try spacers as-is, and the hinged stand is a good idea.