Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 125

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Chert

#1241: Post by Chert »

CoruscatingCoffee wrote:I think reading the 1241 posts to this thread (and others) will give you 100s of ideas about grinds collection. I've tried several and even contributed a possibility (see Pharos Grounds Removal Tips and Mods, first post Feb 9,2014). Now, after kilos of Pharos grinding, I'm back to the original OE recommendation. Just shake and bang it. That said, I shake it over my Mazzer doser. The rubber feet on the Pharos softens the banging of the grinder on the Mazzer's metal doser rim. From there I dose into a basket with an OE funnel or bottomless plastic cup on it. Great espresso with minimal mess and a fraction of a gram in grounds retention.

If you are a woodworker, I love the small maple cabinet idea.
Here's the mentioned linkat the page showing my first design for a Pharos stand. It continues to work very well for me.
LMWDP #198

gimpy

#1242: Post by gimpy »

I've been having a considerable amount of grind retention, also. Yesterday, I thought that I had most of the grind out, so I weighed it. It was about four grams short of what I had loaded into it (I had hit the sides pretty good with my plastic scoop, etc.). I then pounded the grinder pretty good onto my counter top (granite). Had most of the other four grams fall out. So, I'm looking for ways to get more out easier.

Those are pretty nice setups you've made. Don't know if I will try to make something like that. Maybe :-)

OE, have you looked at the possibility of making the legs just a little longer/higher by a half inch or so? This would allow me/us to slide a low container underneath the grind output hole. You could grind straight into it. I would like to try something like that to see if it might work a little better, even if you didn't/couldn't use the rubber pad you've provided. Course, it might not work/be feasible. Just a thought.

Advertisement
bostonbuzz

#1243: Post by bostonbuzz »

I spent a lot of time modifying my Pharos. I would consider getting another and would certainly leave it stock. Just use RDT!
LMWDP #353

Nate42

#1244: Post by Nate42 »

I've been using my pharos as my primary espresso grinder at home and work for over a year now, and I've got what for me is a pretty reliable grinds removal routine.

Step 1, RDT whether you think you need it or not, more is typically better. I use two or three spritzes from a little spray bottle.

Step 2, I hold an unused milk pitcher over the funnel exit, pick the pharos up and give it both a side to side and up and down shake. This typically gets you down to less than 1 gram retention, or better.

Step 3, While holding over the milk pitcher, use the rubber mat to give it a "spank" from the side. This is particularly effective for me since my funnel is exposed, but it works in the stock config too. This tends to get out pretty much everything that is left from the shake.

Step 4, finally I give it a short drop or two onto the counter to get any stragglers. This rarely yields a large enough amount to even register on my scale, and you could totally skip it if you wanted. Makes me feel better though.

Step 5, with the help of an OE funnel, pour grounds from milk pitcher to portafilter.

None of this is as complicated as it sounds, thanks to lots of practice its largely automatic and I get the grinds out in less than 30 seconds.

gimpy

#1245: Post by gimpy »

I tried the finger sprinkle this morning. Didn't seem to help much, other than I saw two or three little clumps of grinds in my little plastic bowl that I dump it into.

I will try a spray bottle next.

Exordium01

#1246: Post by Exordium01 »

I'll have to try the spray bottle also. I'd like to have the grinder bolted into a countertop extension, and I'm thinking about integrating in a recessed knockbox. I've found that tapping the middle metal disk with a mallet does a good job of dislodging grinds, but I'll have to keep experimenting. I'll also try exposing the funnel. Maybe a few light taps directly to the funnel will be more effective.

Nate42

#1247: Post by Nate42 »

Keep in mind the reason I can get away with an exposed funnel is I have metal bolt covers. I think in the stock condition the lower plastic cylinder is probably an important contributor to stability. Not saying not to try it, just YMMV.

I think the RDT is the more important bit, and a spray bottle is nice because an even distribution of water is more effective than a few discrete drops. You could also use a steam wand.

Also, when you do the shaking part, shake it like you mean it. If you don't look like an idiot, you're not doing it right :)

Advertisement
gimpy

#1248: Post by gimpy »

Well, I must have had a little bit left in the grinder as I got out more today than what I put in to start with by a couple of tenths. I did an extra sprinkle or two on it this morning, might be why? Made it come out easier?

As a side note, I tightened up the grind setting just a hair, then pulled a shot. That was the best tasting shot of espresso I have ever had :-D. Real nice flavor and kinda sweet. I wanted more, so, maybe I'm getting a little closer to dialing the grind setting in. Big test will be in the morning when I pull another shot.

gimpy

#1249: Post by gimpy »

Since I have been tapping (pounding?) the grinder on my counter top to get the last one or two grams of grind out, I decided to use one of my wife's bigger plastic Tupperware bowls to catch all the grind. The bowl is big enough that the pharos can sit in it, so I just pound the grinder into it. I can then pour that straight into my portafilter. I use my aero press funnel for that.

Exordium01

#1250: Post by Exordium01 »

I've still been having trouble finding the fine line between choking my machine and blond gushers. The gushers don't pull too fast, the cone is just very large/foamy, and the espresso tastes sour/thin. I know the beans are good because the roaster I got them from pulled a shot for me from their machine after I talked to them about some issues I've had dialing in the grind for my machine. One of the guys there uses a Pharos for his home setup.

I think I've decided to build a counter extension. I'll probably go with Pharos dogs to hold the grinder down so I can remove it to bang it around. I'll post pictures when it's done.