Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 123

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
beer&mathematics

#1221: Post by beer&mathematics »

drgary wrote:Doug is building these by hand, so he won't leave in gunk in there to clean out. Mine arrived without any manufacturing residue.
Correct, however the burrs are brand new and never been used. I find that the coffee tastes better once they have ground some beans and have a light layer of oil on them.

If you have some sub-par beans on hand--why not grind 100g and make a batch of cold brew ;)
LMWDP #431

Exordium01

#1222: Post by Exordium01 replying to beer&mathematics »

I keep very little coffee on hand unfortunately.

I decided to use up the rest of a Columbia Sierra Nevada that I wasn't as happy with (oldest thing I have on hand, roasted on Sunday) and an inverted Aeropress with a metal disk filter (using french press dosing and time). I set the grinder to 1 rotation from zero, which was a bit on the fine side. It resulted in a very rich cup, and the cocoa really comes out. It was much less bright than with my old hario mini mill, which I was surprised about, though I've been struggling with an almost cloying level of acidity that I've tried to combat by roasting darker, which may have been due to the fines from the mini mill as it is worse with high-grown coffee.

My roommate made a cup of a Brazil coffee that I roasted last night (full-city). Again it was very nutty/chocolate forward, without much fruit.

Since I don't have to compensate for a bad grinder, I'll have to rework how I roast. I'll probably back off from city+->full city to city->city+ range for roasting.

I currently have small batches of:
Kenya Kirinyaga Kiangoi AA
Kenya Kirinyaga Kii AB
India Ratnagin Peari Mountain Peaberry
Yemen Mokha Sharasi
Brazil Pulp Natural Fazenda do Sertao

roasted up that I need to go through before I recalibrate my process, but it'll be fun traveling all over the world with the new grinder.

dabaron

#1223: Post by dabaron »

I've been watching the availability for a Pharos for a few months, seen a few 'available now' posts just in time to see check back frequently.

Wednesday logged in as usual (7:15 PM CST), hit Add to Cart, and didn't hit the refresh key immediately as usual. Held my breath as the computer did it's thing.Then payment section, confirmation..... and in less than 30 minutes.... shipping confirmation!

Beat the mailman to the door this afternoon; he never had a chance to set it down. Set it up, within a couple of tries adjusting for the grind, had the best tasting cappuccino since I started this journey.

Used to think the local cafes made good drinks; they don't compare at all to Home Brew!

Great machine.

Thanks Doug and Barb!

beer&mathematics

#1224: Post by beer&mathematics »

Woohoo! Congrats Danny!
LMWDP #431

gimpy

#1225: Post by gimpy »

I was pretty much the same way. Had their website bookmarked on my phone. Would check fifteen-twenty times a day. When I casually checked it Wednesday evening, I almost dropped my phone when I saw that message. It took two or three tries to give them my info. =-O

I had mine shipped to my office. How surprised I was this morning when I saw the "out for delivery" message.:-! I was thinking it would arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Unfortunately, I finally saw the "business closed" message. But, I hope they will deliver it Monday. Give me something to eagerly look forward to at work on Monday morning :-) besides work.

BruceR

#1226: Post by BruceR »

Back in stock if anyone following this thread is waiting for one.

Chert

#1227: Post by Chert »

I wonder if Barb and Doug know how many people are singing along with Phil Collins: " I'm waiting in line... Would you say if I was wasting my time... Or did I miss again I think I missed again oh oh oh."
LMWDP #198

gimpy

#1228: Post by gimpy »

The week before July 11th (i think they were out of country at the time), OE posted that they had enough materials for 75 units. They were supposed to return from over seas on July 11th. On July 16th, they posted on their website that there were some units available. Someone on here said that they had 6 available at that time. Now, it was posted, they had a few more available? And gone already? Just trying to give a little time line for possible reference here.

I would check at least hourly, if not more often. I did, and was rewarded :-).last week.
Good luck.

beer&mathematics

#1229: Post by beer&mathematics »

What excites me is knowing that after their materials run out for the current Pharos, there might be that little glimmer of hope that a Pharos2 would come out on the horizon. I can dream can't I...

Hand grinders are like Pokemon, gotta catch them all! :twisted:
LMWDP #431

DanoM

#1230: Post by DanoM »

Will I regret downgrading from a commercial grinder?
orphanespresso wrote:Oh yes, I have parts to build about 75 more Pharos. Discontinued has a harsh sound to it :) .....we are hoping to do some revisions of the Pharos in the future. That is our project after the Lido 3 ...at least that is the plan at present.
Doug
After the Lido 3? That could be a long ways off I think. Still it's nice to know they aren't forgetting the Pharos.
LMWDP #445