Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 121

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spressomon

#1201: Post by spressomon »

Almico wrote:Ok...NOW I get it. I spent an hour installing Will's mods last night and fine tuning the alignment. No rubbing down to 1/4 of a turn. At 1/8 turn I get a very consistent light rubbing all around.

My La Pavoni has been out of commission for a week after I broke the pressure gauge trying to clean it out. So I haven't had a chance to make any espresso with my new Pharos and have just been enjoying some syphon brew on my new Hario. But considering the Hario and Pharos arrived at the same time, I haven't really had a chance to notice the difference the Pharos has made to my coffee life until last night.

Coincidently, I received the new pressure gauge on the same day I installed Will's mods and for the first time had the chance to use the Pharos for espresso. Well...like I said before...now I get it. With my Baratza Preciso I was never able to get a grind, no matter how fine, that would choke my La Pavoni. Well I choked the crap out of it last night! I dialed the Pharos back to 1/2 turn from zero and still almost broke my arm pulling a shot. Dialed it back another 1/8 turn and eased off the tamp and...voila! I pulled the best shot I ever tasted. The crema was thick like whipped cream and I can now delete "turpentine" from my flavor notes.

So now I understand what a good grinder can do for coffee flavor. The bad news is, there is no turning back now.

We need a bigger boat :D
No Espresso = Depresso

Almico

#1202: Post by Almico »

spressomon wrote:We need a bigger boat :D
And a second income!

Feiji

#1203: Post by Feiji »

I am new to the forum but thought that I just had to express my thoughts on my new Pharos. I have owned a Silvia/Rocky combo for about seven years. Changed the burrs on my Rocky and used plumbers tape on the threads. I almost pulled the trigger on a Vario until I stumbled across Pharos postings and felt it would best suit my needs . Out of the box after finding my true zero and then dialed it out 180 degrees counter clockwise, the grind seemed very coarse. I pulled several gushers tightened it up but then started getting the rub. After 10 shots I gently loosened/ tightened outer bolts till rub rent away. My true zero moved back quite a bit and now I easily choked my Silvia with 180 degrees from zero with 12g (triple basket) of home roast naturally processed Ethiopian. I don't know if this was break in or shipping issues but All I can say is wow. The espresso that The pharos has now introduced me to is amazing. On very rare occasions when all the stars aligned my Rocky would produce a good shot. However the Pharos has in enabled me to truly focus on dialing in shots based on taste. I find myself wanting to pull a shot just for that little taste to make sure the constancy is still there. The problem is I can't just stop with a sip... I plan on keeping my pharos stock for now.

Nickel20

#1204: Post by Nickel20 »

Pharos 1025
Your experience with zero was similar to mine. After 15 mins and 3 choking sessions I reset it again and 180 degrees or so was about right for my Rocket.
I too had a Rocky, and its really night and day with the grind quality. No more channeling with the bottomless p/f.
It's sensational with the Pavoni too.
Straight out the box it was unexpectedly large, but the speed of the grind is fast. I haven't read this thread yet but I have yet to get a 'foolproof' process of emptying the grinds into a suitable container.
Someone mentioned in another thread that the Pharos is a design classic, and an heirloom. Well I think that pretty much sums it up.
Thanks Doug & Barb

phishie

#1205: Post by phishie »

Nick you're killing me. I've been refreshing the Pharos page 10 times a day hoping for it to come back in stock again.

OldNuc

#1206: Post by OldNuc »

You can assist the grinds out of the original funnel by deftly prodding them with a ~3/16 diameter metal rod, something like the attached allen wrench. This drains off the static. It also helps to let it sit quietly for 3 - 4 minutes before attempting to get the coffee out.

thelastpav73

#1207: Post by thelastpav73 »

So...Pharos is in stock again! Quick, snatch yours up! I just ordered mine...can't wait!!!
LMDWP #512

rbkool

#1208: Post by rbkool »

Annnnd out of stock (11:10am EST). Like chasing a mirage trying to get your hands on one of these grinders :)

EricBNC

#1209: Post by EricBNC »

thelastpav73 wrote:So...Pharos is in stock again! Quick, snatch yours up! I just ordered mine...can't wait!!!
A used one recently sold for over $300 on the bay. A new Pharos for less is a great deal - enjoy!

:)
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

beer&mathematics

#1210: Post by beer&mathematics »

thelastpav73 wrote:So...Pharos is in stock again! Quick, snatch yours up! I just ordered mine...can't wait!!!
Damn, too late. Was going to buy a second pharos
LMWDP #431