Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 119

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spressomon

#1181: Post by spressomon »

WSH wrote:Dan

What size protractor is that, do you recall? I guessed and ordered the smallest one, maybe 3 inches, and it wasn't even close. :D
4"...MMC #20045A42 (MMC = McMaster-Carr...USA)

I wish I would have known about this: http://www2.fiskars.com/Crafting/Produc ... snZc2t5mSM

I cut the ID of mine with an Exacto knife and it's a little crude : :oops:
No Espresso = Depresso

WSH

#1182: Post by WSH replying to spressomon »

Glad I asked, I was going to go with the 5" the next time.

I'm gonn'a try cutting freehand, at least the first time. :D

Thanks.

pacificmanitou

#1183: Post by pacificmanitou »

http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Plastic-Can ... im_sbs_k_2

This is the funnel I'm using for the voodoo catch. It fits snugly over the outer edge of a 45mm basket. I'm currently trying to find one that fits inside the basket, but it has made dosing much cleaner.
LMWDP #366

WSH

#1184: Post by WSH »

pacificmanitou wrote:My remaining problem with the Pharos is dosing. I need a tray to weigh coffee into, then cleanly dump into the top of the Pharos. I like the looks of the one Voodoodaddy uses, and the one that comes with the HG-one. I don't think I can buy either though.
IMO, trays are awkward for dosing. I use the bottom half of a large vitamin/fiber capsule pill bottle. It's made of thick pliable brown plastic and has proven to be extremely durable. I weigh the beans in it, it's pliable enough to squeeze the edges to temporarily form a spout while you pour your dose into the Pharos with it. Then use it as a catch cup holding it over the funnel opening on the bottom of the Pharos banging them both, stacked together, on the counter to shake the grounds loose. The transfer the grounds neatly into the basket. I do use the OE dosing funnels too, though it's more to control any overflow while using the WDT.

Edited: I should have added the top half of the bottle is a great funnel and fits perfectly into a 51mm basket.

spressomon

#1185: Post by spressomon »

Similar to WSH's pill bottles for dosing beans at the scale and then into the Pharos...I've been using cut down Nalgene containers. You can get them at REI, among other places, and they're cheap, flexible and durable (<$2.00ea).

http://www.rei.com/product/402055/nalge ... le-4-fl-oz

No Espresso = Depresso

mathof

#1186: Post by mathof »

spressomon wrote:Similar to WSH's pill bottles for dosing beans at the scale and then into the Pharos...I've been using cut down Nalgene containers. You can get them at REI, among other places, and they're cheap, flexible and durable (<$2.00ea).

http://www.rei.com/product/402055/nalge ... le-4-fl-oz

<image>

<image>
How do you get such a clean cut? The only tool I have that might do the job is a X-acto hobbyist's knife, but I'm sure the result would be wavery line.

pacificmanitou

#1187: Post by pacificmanitou »

You could mark the canister with a sharpie and cut slowly.

My guess is a jig or bandsaw, just pull through. After that you could touch it up with a file or put it on a belt sander to level off the edges and remove any fraying.
LMWDP #366

spressomon

#1188: Post by spressomon »

I use a standard utility knife...with a new blade. Per pacificmanitou: cut slowly. Then use sand paper atop a smooth hard surface and sand it flat...work up to about 400 grit for near polished type edge. Burnish the edges with 400...
No Espresso = Depresso

pacificmanitou

#1189: Post by pacificmanitou »

RAS wrote:My wife and I are planning a return trip to the area next June (the whole region is absolutely spectacular, and Grindelwald's views of the Eiger would be hard to beat)... If anyone is interested, PM me, and I'll pick up more of these funnels. The cost on the label is in Swiss Francs, and it works out to roughly $9-10US.

My plan is to, once I have another one of these, make a small cut in the 45mm part of the funnel to slightly decrease the OD so that it will fit perfectly inside the 45mm basket (I'd rather not modify this one until I KNOW if I screw it up, I'll have a back up :wink: ).

Sign me up for at least three. Do you think it could be cut to fit in place of the catch cup? I'm doing a motorized mount, and found theplastic one that I use for dosing can be wedged in, but I would much rather metal.
LMWDP #366

RAS

#1190: Post by RAS »

Not sure about the requirements for a catch cup, but the funnel is aluminum, so it is malleable. It's thick aluminum, so cutting will require some precision, and good tools. I'll check back here before we leave.
Bob