Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tekomino

#1: Post by tekomino »

My #8 LIDO arrived two days now and I have been using it to grind for CCD every day. I have not tried it for espresso or any other brew method, but for CCD specifically it creates very clean cup. Grinding about 20 grams of the beans takes about 2 minutes.

I used 2 turns counter-clock wise from zero as starting point and that is pretty much where I stayed. Adjustment is very easy and grinder has solid build. It can be used as self defense weapon, fo sho :lol:

There is some static but that is pretty much reality with any grinder, honestly it does not bother me. I don't want that coffee dust and chaff in cup anyway.

For CCD before LIDO I used Baratza Vario and was fairly happy with it. I did some comparison with LIDO and I feel like I am getting cleaner and clearer tasting cup. I will do some more comparisons in coming days, there is only so much coffee I can taste every day.

Comparing LIDO to small ceramic grinders is really not fair to them, its like brining knife to the fist fight. The build quality, usability and sheer feel of LIDO is completely different.

Looking forward to hear what everyone else experience with LIDO is especially how it performs for other brew methods. I don't plan for using it for espresso, but will with French Press.

Congratulations, Doug and Barb, this is now my constant traveling companion.

SlowRain

#2: Post by SlowRain »

I'm curious to know how it handles French press, and how it stacks up to the OE PFP Hario Skerton/Kyocera CM-50 mod.

Advertisement
Sam21

#3: Post by Sam21 replying to SlowRain »

Even though I haven't used mine for press, I have the OE PFP as well and can do a light comparison based on my limited experience with the LIDO.

First off, the LIDO dominates in the build quality department. With the LIDO, the burr is fully stabilized. There is absolutely NO play or give. No x-axis or y-axis motion during grinder. The grinding is very very smooth as the burrs nibble away. The OE PFP, using the ceramic burr, is also very stabilized, but does show a little play. This is largely due to the plastic bearing that supports the shaft.

While the OE PFP does an admirable press pot job for a hand grinder, the LIDO really takes it to a different level IMO. The LIDO will likely last years and years and years (and years) longer than my OE PFP due to the build quality alone. The Skerton's plastic bearings have been shown to wear with time. The burrs of the LIDO also do a much better job at nibbling the beans into more uniform pieces. The way I see it is the ceramic burrs of the OE PFP crush/grind the beans, while the LIDO cuts them.

I can't give any impressions based on taste in the press, as I have not used the LIDO for a press pot yet, but I plan on it. Based on the grind quality alone, I am very optimistic. I am sure others can jump in to comment on the press pot quality of the LIDO.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Here's a link to the original thread on the LIDO in the Marketplace for background; there are a few owner experiences (with pics) posted toward the end (starting on p. 19): Orphan Espresso LIDO cupping grinder

I'll do a head-to-head press-style (Eva Solo) cupping challenge pitting the Preciso against the LIDO in the next few days. Based on what I've seen so far, I predict the LIDO will have no problem holding its own.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mborkow »

#5 checking in...and all I can say is: one of the best cups of French press I've had...1/2 SM's Sumatepia and 1/2 SM's French press blend. The cup is rich and chocolatey and so sweet that added sugar would be wasted in it. The grinding itself is pretty easy requiring just an occasional agitation to get the beans to feed into the burr. I tried both positions with the handle and feel like the "bicycle" style is more comfortable...really you are holding the handle still and rotating the body of the grinder. I have not tried the LIDO for espresso...but I have a Pharos dedicated to it already and I really got this grinder for press.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Thanks, Dennis for getting this thread started. I'm sitting in the Charlotte airport getting ready to fly home and am excited that my LIDO will probably be waiting for me. I just spent two weeks on a yoga retreat getting very comfortable with the combination of Pharos and AeroPress using Counter Culture Idido and Blue Bottle Giant Steps for coffees. This will be a very interesting comparison!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

CoffeeMac

#7: Post by CoffeeMac »

I hit the jackpot today -- received my Lido, my Hario TCA-5 syphon, and my Cory glass-rod filter. First trial was with 36g Redbird, grind setting 2 turns CCW on the Lido, and 600g water, 90 seconds steep time. I have to say it was one of the best non-espresso coffees I've had in a long, long time. Very clean, no sediment. The Lido itself worked like a charm -- very straightforward to set the grind, fill, crank and (hooray!) empty the ground coffee. After one afternoon I am very pleased with the Lido (not to mention the syphon) and am happy to say it inherited none of the "quirks" from its big brother.
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

Advertisement
EricBNC

#8: Post by EricBNC »

Ah, the honeymoon begins! I hope who ever bought one of my box mills brand new 50 years ago felt the same passion! :D
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

jbviau
Supporter ★

#9: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Ha!

Tonight's LIDO play time [side note: they should call this the LUDO, truly] involved grinding 16.6 g. of the latest 1000 Faces Baroida for Aeropress. It only took me 35 seconds at 2 turns CCW from zero. About the setting, lately I've been brewing inverted with a coarse grind and longer steep time. Anyway, in transferring from the LIDO's glass catch jar to the Aeropress, I found that the jar has a little ridge just inside its lip that holds onto ground coffee. A little shake dislodged it but also spilled a bit outside of the Aeropress's narrow brew chamber. So, next time I'll probably use the stock Aeropress funnel. Even including the minor spillage, though, my retention was only 0.2 g. And the coffee itself? Awesome.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

penrod

#10: Post by penrod »

Got #13 today. My 2.5 yr old would only let me grind once before the playground trip, and insisted on helping me grind. I had a vac pot of Ethopian yiracheffe one day post roast (I wasn't expecting the grinder until next week) because I don't really care for the coffee I had for espresso brewed other ways.

I think all I should say about the grinder is the build quality is amazing, it is almost easy enough for a 2.5 year old to turn, and the packaging is pretty top notch.

I have a habit of over-muscling things and took the directions not to overtighten the wing-nut to heart. So it slipped while I was grinding and I didn't notice until after I had started brewing. The slipping was probably helped by my daughter turning the handle in wrong direction while she was helping me grind, now that I think of it.

So with that caveat, there appeared to be less sediment than with my virtuoso (that I tried to abuse as an espresso grinder when I was first starting), and it seemed faster than my kyocera.